MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
X-POWER ZR TD+
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apart from jerry who has the best job in the world flying 747 dose any body fly light or big aircraft on this forum. And Jerry whats it like to fly 747 for a living i would love to do it so far i only have a PPL & 105 hours a long way to go yet .

G

·
My Opinion

Probably going to disappoint you. But I'm not a pilot, but a Flight Engineer. I have flown, but don't have a licence, I have considered converting to Pilot but I think it's too late in my career to get a commercial pilots licence.

Flying for Dragonair the salary is very competative! BTW FE/FO salary is the same, while a Captains is suitably more. As you know without sponsorship or RAF training the sum required is normally around £50,000 to get a commercial pilots licence. Then you need to get experience in the RH seat, usually done with the less glamerous airlines paying around £20k pa.

Thereore financially, it doesnot make any sense for a 45 year old to spend £50k (not earn any money during the year) and then take a huge pay drop. However somebody in there twenties it is an excellent idea if you can get sponsorship, as you will make Captain in around 12 years and then its a licence to print money.

Finally, the guys flying for outfits like Easy Jet certainly earn their crust - think 5 days on, 2 off with 6 or more sectors a day, That's an awful lot of stroppy passengers. Fly Cargo do 7 sectors a month.:shout: That's just my opinion. Not the glamerous job you may think - I spend 7 hours or more in the cruise. Not enough newspapers or magazines to cover that amount of time. :angst

·
Long Haired Lout
1,050 Posts
The only flying I do is on flight simulator 2002, can fly a cessna pretty well on that. I also like helicopter sims, I use the pro settings whilst I fly, does that count?

·
Registered
214 Posts
only flying ive ever done's been behind the wheel of my mg! (at least thats what the nice copper said!):tsk

·
X-POWER ZR TD+
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jerry, dont you need a ATPL to be a filght engineer i know my flight instructor in the USA who was a filght engineer on 727 with eastion(not flying any more) had to.I have done some hour buliding in the in the US here is a pic of me in the USA with my MG X-POWER t-shirt on. Where do u fly to with Dragonair.

I also use flight sim 2002 good lnstrument flying, its a good trainning aid lots of pilots use it.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
dont fly but have had a go

Had a 1 hour trial lesson last year in a 4 seater piper at a small local airfield.(Harmer Hill) cost me £35, and apart from take off and landing had control for the whole hour.

Great fun, cloud hopping etc If I had the time and the money would love it, so much freedom - green with envy of you guys:angel

:cool: Mike:cool:

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Other than flying to the sun on holiday (usually in a Boeing) I have yet to land in a small aircraft although I've taken off in a few.

While at college in the midlands (late 1970s) did a bit of parachuting (Peterborough Parachute Centre - Sibson Airfield). They used a Cessna and a Brittney Norman Islander.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with Jerry... my work colleague! I too am a Flight Engineer, and I completed my PPL between jobs (before joining Dragonair). It has been tremendous fun, but extremely expensive!

I'm now residing in Hong Kong, and have largely given up the private flying stuff. Given time... I'll probably miss it? But I'm now into marine stuff, and finding to my cost that I should have stuck to flying? Driving a large pleasure craft in HKG requires the equivalent licence of a B747 geezer. Inasmuch that you have to be licenced to drive a supertanker! But that's the Chinese authorities for you?

On the job front, I'm also a cargo shifter on the B747, and I wouldn't have it any other way! Dragonair's administrative gang do their best to mess up your flying roster... not to mention get blood out of a stone? But then... how else could I otherwise afford my toys?

Airlines are not the glamourous positions that they once were, but for any youngsters out there who enjoy a challenge... get out there and do it! But... do it early!

Cheers Jerry. Meet you in the China Coast!

Byeeeee.

·
Eeeeeoooowwwww!
658 Posts
I've done a couple of hours in a Piper Tomahawk (MAN),and a few in a Cessna 172 (Barton M'cr) but realised that it was going to be expensive,still really enjoyed the experience.It is a different world up there,and hope to return someday....

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Step in to my office....
(although like Jerry I don't get to pole the thing:cry: but hey it takes two to tango, or in our case four of us)

Attachments

·
ZR 160
692 Posts
So how would a 22Yo old get into the industry then? Whats this about sponsership. I got a HNC in engineering if that counts for anything. lol

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Apply to an airline/force and in return for you agreeing to study VERY hard, appear unswervingly keen, look smart in their uniform and fly a bit now and then, they'll (partially) fund your training and might even offer a job at the end of it.
The big civvy airlines are monumentally hard to gain sponsorship from (I believe BA did FOUR last year):rolleyes: , the smaller ones can't afford sponsoring :( and the RAF tend to look for post-graduates and besides, that route also means military life :guns: but you never know, you might like it! :D
Any private flying training you've done can only help your cause (but isn't a guarantee of success either)
Where in the UK are you? Can see about teeing up a day in the office (see above image) if you're serious.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I've got flight simulator 2002 experience.... Becoming a bit of a Concorde expert, hard to land the thing though.... to be honest, dont think I have made a perfect landing yet in any aircraft!!

better keep practicing!

·
ZR 160
692 Posts
bob-244 im in the west midlands, solihull to be precise. Not sure about the whole military thing, i have thought about it before but Im not overly keen on the amount of time away from home. But then again ive never really tried it.

Matt

·
ZR 160
692 Posts
bob just read your profile. ....... Air transport operator for Govt funded global troubleshooting agency ;-)

LOL

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice Chopper Bob! Been there, done that... didn't get the T Shirt? Four engines were better! Though at the time, it was three for me! Tristar's did it better

JB.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Oh come on Biggles, a 14 hour tasking day out of MPA in 60kts beats a Red Flag det anyday!
Or maybe I've just been here too long.
:beerchug

1 - 19 of 19 Posts