MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Saw my first Tech-Speed car suspended cars today. Certainly improves the stance of the car and I guess the handling. Not too different too look at than the Trophy and TF with Sports Suspension visually!

Is it a similar set up to the MGF Cup Cars?

Also, passed the factory on the Midlands Meet #2 .

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Yes, they can configure it almost exactly the same as a cup car. In short (I'm sure Rob and SF will ass to this list) ...

1) Adjustable Shockers (I believe TS use bilsteins)
2) RoverSport Hydragas units (Strictly optional - makes the ride far too hard IMO).
3) Shim the rear tie-bar so they can offset the camber (not as clever as the limited production adjustable tie-bar I have from MS).
4) Nipple Job :D (I believe this removes the interconnects between the hydragas units to they are independant).
5) Lowering knuckles.

Never driven one though, but as I know Rob and SF will agree, we have all seen Paul Sharpe's TS MGF and it's outrageously low!!

·
MGF and ZTT pilot :)
863 Posts
I have a 'Techspeeded' MGF! :cool:

Yup, very low. Very cool :)

Techspeed can modify your car to any specification you should want to choose. As I compete in the MGCC Sprint championship, I've gone for a set up that stays within the regulations:
1. Non adjustable Bilsteins (these are the only dampers they sell- and have been specifically developed for the MGF - and besides adjustables are outlawed for road-going standard cars).
2. Rear tie-bar spacers
3. Lowered suspension knuckles
4. Altered geometry

The overall effect is dramatic - not only does the set-up alter the stance of the car, it also alters the handling characteristics that you'd think that you were riding in a Porsche - and you'd need a TF to keep up! ;)

If need be, you can go more extreme - for instance replacing the subframe mounting bushes with solid alloy items, removing the hydragas sphere interconnections (the so called 'nipple job') etc etc.

IMO very much worth the effort and expense (which actually is very reasonable).

BTW I've gone one step further recently - I've had a TF steering rack fitted to my F - wow, what a difference :D A must have mod IMO

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Rob

Phoned Techspeed regarding engine updates for the Trophy motor - talked of exhaust and ITG. That's it really.

Also a fine tune of the suspension!

·
863 Posts
Jerry, the best people to talk to regarding engine upgrades are Janspeed (they supply much of PTP's stuff - it's a reciprocal arrangement).

Work usually means a new intake system (ITG Maxogen), new manifold and cat, and exhaust back box. The head can be gently flowed without causing too many problems, as can the inlet plenum.

Beyond that, there is not that much available for the VVC engine - at least not until Mike Satur releases his new exhaust cam ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Rob,

Will call them - shame I never thought of this before Wednesday - won't be changing internals though!

ITG Maxogen and exhaust without cat are it, I think!

Good to have the MGF experts around!

·
863 Posts
Jerry Flint said:
ITG Maxogen and exhaust without cat are it, I think!
ITG Maxogen, exhaust, and maybe a Janspeed manifold, if we can persuade them to make it for the MGF, complete with flexi-pipe section.

BTW Jerry, thanks for letting me have another look at the ZR '180' (no, not a mis-type chaps) - I think we've solved the engine-warning light mystery.

"... and I'd have gotten away with it if it weren't for those pesky kids..." :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Spoke to Techspeed who suggested (between the lines) not to bother with replacing the airbox and if I did it must be with the ITG. ITG has a cold air feed like the OE fitment.

Also, said don't waste money on a new exhaust.

Their recomendation was to upgrade the suspension with Bilstein gas struts and new knuckles for circa £550 + VAT.

No sure any of the above is required for the Trophy!

·
863 Posts
I guess there are two ways of looking at that answer.

First is the cynical one: Techspeed's expertise is suspension, and not selling go-faster engine goodies.

The second is that in fact, they are quite correct. If you want to go faster around the track, you need to be able to get around corners faster - and frankly, your circuit times will be faster with properly sorted suspension.

For around 5-600 quid, you could fit an ITG Maxogen and an MSD exhaust. You'd get, perhaps, as much as 5-10 bhp more. Not a huge gain in performance - perhaps shaving a 1/10th of a second from the 0-60 time. For a similar investment, you could get the suspension lowered, fit better dampers, and use modified tracking settings. You'd then have a car that feels substantially different from the standard offering: much better suspension control, and much more predictable handling. The result, as you saw on the track at Kemble was that I was at the read line in forth by the end of the straight after the large 180 sweeper, before the chicane - we were simply able to take more speed through all the corners. :D

One anxiety may be that what possible benefit would there be modifying an already modified Trophy? The answer is that there are significant benefits - especially with respect to those gas-filled dampers. I've played with the standard dampers (the Trophy ones are identical): there's no resistance to compression at all. The replacements have, and the improvement in suspension control is dramatic (it almost feels Porsche-like in its excellence).

For what it is worth, I was considering going for a Trophy set up for my F, but in the end kept the existing hydragas spheres, and plumped for the Bilstein dampers... :D

As one happy F owner, I can certainly recommend this upgrade! :cool:

:beerchug

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
IMO hydragas is the most technically advanced system, but it suffers from 2 main drawbacks:

1) It's really heavy man ...
2) Affected by temperature.

I'm quite happy to live with both of those, and as Rob says, get those crummy stock shockers replaced with something sensible. I run with Avos, and it's like a different car.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Jerry,

I'm with Rob, but then you'd expect that wouldn't you, with my car also having the TechSpeed setup. All I can tell you is that the difference between 'before' and 'after' spending those 600 notes is absolutely chalk and cheese, whereas the 'before' and 'after' of a few more bhp from an ITG Maxogen (which I have) and a sports exhaust (which I have) is far less significant. As Rob said, carrying speed through the bends is the key and that's what the Techspeed suspension lets you do.

As a bonus, the ride height makes the car look so much better - see below.

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
Tech-Speed Suspension Fitted

What's been done - quotes from Tech-Speed Brochure!

1) Reduce ride height by 25-30 mm with lowering knuckles and pistons to improve the vehicles stance (looks good in the pub car park).

2) As above with the addition of Bilstein monotube gas dampers manufactured to Tech-Speed road settings plus rear trailing arm compliance washers, geometry re-set to Tech-Speed specification and wheel alignment carried out on their racecar flat patch. The stance, roll resistance, handling and steering response are much improved giving the driver better feedback and introducing the fun element (doesn't rattle your fillings).

3) The renowned "four nipple job" to allow each Hydragas unit to be individually adjusted, used mostly by track day enthusiasts. Reduces the pitching caused by fluid transfer (normally carried out when fitting the suspension lit).

Tech-Speed Engine and Suspension Packages can be seen here (including prices).

I'm very pleased with the above packages, will report further soon!

·
863 Posts
Nice one Jerry :)

Good to hear that you are so positive about your first impressions :)

I have to say I was extremely impressed when I got my car back for the first time. I recieved a lift from my father in his Porsche Boxster - a car that rides and handles exceptionally well, as we all know. What I didn't necessarily expect was that my F would feel so very similar when I picked the car up from TS! Firm ride certainly, but beautifully damped, and very comfortable!

Given that, up to that point I'd been considering updating my F's suspension to Trophy spec, this experience made me realise that I'd definitely made the right decision! :)

Highly recommended to all.

Hope you continue to enjoy Jerry! :)

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
Rob,

As you say very early days - but first impressions bode well!

Just done about 50 miles in the car. It's made the car less extreme on the open road and thus eassier to drive!

Further comment on the preperation which I omitted earlier. When these guys did any work they followed up by cleaning all the components before refitting. Wheel arch liners, wheels in fact the whole car.

What other garage does this? None would be my guess!

Now for that gas flowed head and a sweet sounding exhaust! Dream on!

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
You mean a.............................?

Well today is the day the other "Blue Trophy" of Mr Pocket Riocket" is being fettled.

Can't wait for the feedback from an owner who has done more miles with the standard Trophy suspension before being Tech-Speeded!:yakyakyak

·
MG ZR 160
112 Posts
I've been Tech-Speeded!!

As Jerry mentioned I've been to Tech-Speed today to have the suspension sorted. Well what did I have done? I went for Suspension Package A along with the 'nipple job' and Tech-Speeds own quick shift gear change. All this has transformed the car. In standard form the Trophy is very stiffly 'sprung'. Great on the track (CCC were very impressed in their review of trackday cars) but a bit jarring on our crappy roads. The suspension now has a bit more compliance especially if you unavoidably hit a sunken manhole cover or other holes/bumps. Its far more secure and the roadholding is better than before. The TF rack has improved the steering too with more of a direct feel. The gear change is great, more positive feel and less movement than before - no play at all. All in all I'm really impressed. Marvins' team did a superb job as Jerry has already said. If anyone is contemplating having their suspension done then Tech-Speed should be at the top of the list. Thanks again Tech-Speed - I will be back for the clutch mod!

PS A few things that are not said in Tech-Speeds brochure. The Bilstein dampers are race units with Tech-Speed settings. They are not the same as the units that can be bought through retail outlets. They also have different settings front to rear. Each damper is coded so that Tech-Speed know when the damper was fitted. In the unlikely event it goes wrong they know the mileage it has done and the type of use the car has had which helps Bilstein ascertain what went wrong with the damper.

Attachments

·
Registered
341 Posts
Interesting to hear about the results of Tech-Speed's suspension mods on a Trophy. :) There are many, many F owners, me included, who have seen their cars transformed, but of course the Trophy was a different package. Welcome to the club!:rockon:

Dave

1 - 20 of 36 Posts