MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Am new here. I just bought a MG ZS 180 mk2, 2005. It´s stock. What´s the first think i have to change on my car. I was thinking about an oil catch tank, but I don´t know which one is good.(i found some sketches of a tank, but they wasn´t wery clear so if someone knows a link to a one I be pleased for it). Is there any special requirement´s for the tank? (vacuum, or somethink or it´s just a regular tank with measure pipe.) sorry if that´s a noob question.
2. question - is possible to gain 10PS from changing an air filter (KN 57 mk2), or which one is best(ITG)?
3.question-is there also a clutch problems with mark 2 models? I was looking under my hood and I think my master cylinder is not a plastic or am I blind :irked:
sorry if that are a noob questions. (from central Europe-Slovakia)

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
First of all welcome to XPF

1 Loads of catchtanks on ebay for the ZS - I am sure someone will point you to one that is ideally suitable for you.

2 Dunno bout the gains but a BMC CDA or a ITG Maxogen or even a ITG cone in innerwing will help the car breathe a lot easier.

3 Yes

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3.question -YES - means Am blind? or Yes it has also clutch problems.
for the catch tank -you mean English ebay?
and are my steps ok? first catch tank, than induction kit and then other thinks ( exhaust)
4. question-what are good suspension options for ZS 180 price/life(don´t need lowering - just want kit springs and dampers), how long could standart dampers last? 70 000km(45k miles)
5. question- could I use 15´´ rims for ZS 180 (standart brakes 282mm)

really thanx for answers, there´s only one ZS 180 mk1 in my country that´s why I bothering with stupid Q.

·
19,410 Posts
3 Yes both Mk1 and Mk2 suffer the same clutch problems.

·
Life is just a like a bowl of Cherries!
1,202 Posts
Hello. Am new here. I just bought a MG ZS 180 mk2, 2005. It´s stock. What´s the first think i have to change on my car. I was thinking about an oil catch tank, but I don´t know which one is good.(i found some sketches of a tank, but they wasn´t wery clear so if someone knows a link to a one I be pleased for it). Is there any special requirement´s for the tank? (vacuum, or somethink or it´s just a regular tank with measure pipe.) sorry if that´s a noob question.
2. question - is possible to gain 10PS from changing an air filter (KN 57 mk2), or which one is best(ITG)?
3.question-is there also a clutch problems with mark 2 models? I was looking under my hood and I think my master cylinder is not a plastic or am I blind :irked:
sorry if that are a noob questions. (from central Europe-Slovakia)
3.question -YES - means Am blind? or Yes it has also clutch problems.
for the catch tank -you mean English ebay?
and are my steps ok? first catch tank, than induction kit and then other thinks ( exhaust)
4. question-what are good suspension options for ZS 180 price/life(don´t need lowering - just want kit springs and dampers), how long could standart dampers last? 70 000km(45k miles)
5. question- could I use 15´´ rims for ZS 180 (standart brakes 282mm)

really thanx for answers, there´s only one ZS 180 mk1 in my country that´s why I bothering with stupid Q.
Since nobody here has answered your Questions fully I shall or at least attempt to anyway, lol!!

1. A catchtank is always a good idea, it does stop some of the oil vapour within the Crankcase Ventilation system from destroying the VIS motors.
Any catchtank on the "net" will be just as good as anything elsewhere, but remember to fill with a pan scourer, this will stop the vapour from going in and straight back out again.
2. You can gain marginal gains from an aftermarket airfilter, but best of all any aftermarket filter will make the KV6 breath easier,
3. The Mk2 ZS suffers the same as the Mk1 for its clutch hydraulics, search eBay for replacements or failing that get on of Sheddists clutch kits.
4. Suspension, if the car has had a hard life and bounces all over the place then replacement dampers and springs are a wise choice, if the car has be used as an everyday workhorse then the dampers and springs should last the lifetime of the car.
5. 15" Rims will go over the 282mm discs it is just the caliper that they will not clear, no your answer is no on that account.
Hope that answers your question so far.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Hi Mike, :welcome:

Ask away with the questions, someone will be pleased to help. I,ve got a derv, so not much help from me though.

:wave:

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
catch tank fill with a pan scourer? what´s that ? sommethink like this in this link?

http://www.google.sk/imgres?imgurl=...fficial&channel=s&biw=1636&bih=859&tbs=isch:1

so 15 rims are not fittable to ZS 180? if I understand right. :ere:
so for the suspension - have someone installed an aftermarked kits? if do which one? because I only found GAZ, AVO also Koni used to have one kit for ZS but now it´s not availible (dunno why )
thanks for all posts

·
Lighten up dude
1,154 Posts
:

There is a lot of talk and discussion about the values/bhp of mods on the board and not everyone agrees on this or that so its best to read all the posts that exist to get yourself up to speed before asking for detailed recommendations - re-mapping the ECU is a case in point. Its about £200 and some firms 'claim' to give you an extra 20 BHP on a 180. Its sounds sexy but those in the know like George (Charger) think this is garbage unless you have some serious cams/head/throttle body work at least first.

Plus you absolutely need to start with the basics and make sure that your existing engine setup is all OK first or any gains will be hampered. So that will mean a decent service with your own eyes (not what someone has said has been done), spark plugs, fuel filter (4 years or 60K) but many forget it, 5w40 synthetic oil (less friction etc) and of course the two VIS motors. This post makes the point very clearly http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?t=55433&highlight=remap+180

Then sort the poor induction and fit a 2.5" performance exhaust system so the car can breath like it should have done in the first place. You can decat this for a little more (but there are consequences/MOT/MIL to sort) or remove the small middle box altogether.

According to an ex MGR technician I have talked to, the biggest blockage on the 180 (design stage) was the stock manifolds although again there can be some consequences to replacing this as it has a pre-cat built in and you may fail the MOT. Plus you have to be careful of heat in an already very tight and hot engine bay (heat can kill performance, the oil and the engine eventually).

Induction
Just a further note on induction because I am working on this now. Any type of cold air run will be better than the standard setup which is very narrow in places and convoluted. Don't do an open cone to the engine bay e.g. straight off the throttle body - this may look bling but you'll just suck in lots of hot air from the bay.

In terms of filters themselves, carbon elements (like Wolfrace) are much better breathers than paper based ones (like K&N) and if you do pipe to the inner wing make sure the filter is protected i.e. don't run it with the inner arch liner off (for more air) or in direct line of water as you'll just block the thing up with muck and potentially make things worse.

Ue the forum search field at the top of the page to get you started and try to get to a meet to look at other peoples cars (and sometimes mistakes) - this is how I started and I have a better idea now of what I need/want to do.

Welcome to the board

P

Reactions: KevG

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so i searched forum and found what are the common problems for ZS
1.clutch - resolve sheddist kit
2.VIS-repair as shown at fotos in XPF(sheddis photos)
3. oil leaking into filter-resolved with catch tank filled with pan scourer
4.rear bumper-resolved by fotos on XPF
any other porblems? and final two questions.
if my car have 56000km(37k) on clock it´s posible the air filter is filled with oil so do I need install a catch tank and also change air filter?(i hope i understand function of a catch tank , if not somebody correct me please).
what are the best winter tyres? 205/50/16? (we have here also snow-and very bad roads). thanx for reply folks :wave:

·
19,410 Posts
Mike i hope you can sort all your little problems out asap:)

Take it from me every problem with a ZS has been answered on this forum and not any other forum:)

If you want the answer to any problem regarding a MG Zed then you are in the appropriate place.:)

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 12 of 12 Posts