MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Counting down the minutes until Saturday and the collection of my new toy :)

2001 Honda fireblade 929 RR-Y. My only conscern now is that it's going to make my ZS180 feel a little slow :( oh and also this will mean a 2 month spell of ice and snow too so I'd advide everyone to get their winter coats out too :)

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
Nice one!

Makes me laugh when people's go on about how fast Thier cars are when they hav never experienced a proper bike :))

I had a blast on a cbr600rr round donnington and it was a superb piece of kit but lacked the umffff of a bigger motor.

New a guy who road his blade in all weather even snow! Fecking mad if u ask me.

Hav fun just watch those cold tyres, a blast down the motorway won't warm them up either. I had a shattered leg to prove that and threw my 100mile 750k7 down the road when I wasn't paying attention one cold but sunny January :-(

Paulus.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice one!

Makes me laugh when people's go on about how fast Thier cars are when they hav never experienced a proper bike :))

I had a blast on a cbr600rr round donnington and it was a superb piece of kit but lacked the umffff of a bigger motor.

New a guy who road his blade in all weather even snow! Fecking mad if u ask me.

Hav fun just watch those cold tyres, a blast down the motorway won't warm them up either. I had a shattered leg to prove that and threw my 100mile 750k7 down the road when I wasn't paying attention one cold but sunny January :-(

Paulus.
I'm very much a fair weather biker, not fond of the cold too much, although I was forced into using my bandit in mid november a couple of years back when my previous ZS needed a new clutch putting in and I had no other choice. Was scary stuff watching out for frost patches all along the way.

·
MG ZS 180 MGB GT V8
159 Posts
Enjoy your Blade, I used to ride an 04 Blackbird which had much the same engine.....I miss it a lot, as you say a fast car is no match for a decent bike.

·
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.
12,325 Posts
only in a straight line...throw in some corners and big braking zones and bikes start to look rather average.

p.s nice bike tigs

·
Still not cured of MG addiction
7,110 Posts
only in a straight line...throw in some corners and big braking zones and bikes start to look rather average.
In a direct comparison yeah, but sitting on the bike it feels plenty quick enough!! A lot more skill involved in getting a bike round a corner than a car, I rarely get it right but when I do I ride out the bend chuckling away to myself :)

Nice bike there mate :)

I'm in the same club as you - fairweather biker, it's just not that much fun being out on it in winter never mind the safety factor. I went out on Monday on mine, it was going dark early and my hands were freezing even with thick gloves on. Stopping at traffic lights I wasn't sure if my hands would work the controls pulling away.

Hope you enjoy the Fireblade.

·
Registered
385 Posts

p.s nice bike tigs
Nah thats a overated mith.

whilst a bike won't be able to corner with quite the same G as a car the braking performance with modern tech is eye poping.

give me a track like donnington a stock gsxr750 and i dont car what u drive this side of a balls out race car a 5k bike will whip its behind!

its the corner speed and the acceleration out of that makes the differnce

you would need something along the lines of the atom / single seater to get anywhere near!

just watch the vid of the 12K stock 1000RR against the 100K plus v8 atom, they had to put tiff in it to beat the bike and he only just managed it.

SP.

·
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.
12,325 Posts
its not a myth and ive proven it myself time and again.
Watch on board videos of road bikes on track days at donington on youtube and then watch my on board videos in my old zs....then compare lap times!
Bikes are only king in a straight line, anywhere else they become almost disabled.

·
Still not cured of MG addiction
7,110 Posts
Bikes have an advantage on roads that you can carve a line through corners to minimise having to slow down, whereas in a car you have to stay within the white lines unless the road is deserted.

On a track this is evened up because the car can use the whole of the road too.

Anyone seen TT3D? Amazing documentary.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Yer great film. Guy Martin cracks me up, some the thinks he says and the tangents he goes off on. Well worth a watch.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Nicely put.

Love the whole bike v car debate it's all guaranteed to stir an argument lol!

Dave, I have now had a chance to look over your old bag turbo and Must say it would of been a cracking bit of kit when u first built it. The Audi install is first class and having seen the motors Martin has installed at reylands it's what I would of expected.
Would love to hav got it on the track against my gsxr1000 track bike, both stripped down balls out track toys and a total pain to drive / ride on the road.
It's a sad shame that it had fallen into a few wally hands and now needs a lot of tlc but at least it's with the right person now who will supply that.
Must say though I did see a few more places you could of drilled holes in to reduce the weight :))))

Cheers
Paul

·
The Green Machine
3,920 Posts
I miss my bikes! Both sorned until March then the fun begins!
Love my ER6, but the Daytona 955 is something else.
That TT film is brilliant, saw an advanced preview at the bike show with Guy, top bloke.
Nice bike btw, I did look at them but wanted a Triumph in the end.

·
MKII MGZS180
2,314 Posts
For some reason I have no interest in bikes whatsoever. I don't even watch any superbikes or any other bike racing at all. It appears most of those into cars are also into bikes.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Always a good point of debate bikes vs cars :). Personally I would say I could run lap times in my ZS far quicker than on my bike, but then again I've done an aweful lot more trackdays and had much more driver training in a car than on a bike. I guess in terms of a profesional race driver and a professional rider putting a bike vs car then it would come down to the type of track you're on. I'd like to think its not a case of one better than the other full stop, but just choosing your tools for the right job :)

Anyway, more pics... this time including the ZS as well.

I saw TT3D in blockbuster the other day, I'll have to take a look at it next time we're getting a movie out. :racer:

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts