MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming out of my home town of Congleton on my way to work I found myself approaching a Scoob Turbo who was trundling along at about 40 without a care in the world.

The driver must have glanced in his mirror and seen the badge because he took off like a dose of salts... A challenge. It would have been rude not to pursue to say 'hi' :D

As he accelerated upto about 60 or so we came to a sharp right hander followed by a sharp left... I took those 2 bends faster than I've ever dared before to catch him up - which I did quicker than I'd have imagined against a 4x4 Scoob who was 'one one'... the 180 didn't put a tyre out of line and I sensed there was still a lot more grip left.

After getting past some other lesser vehicle :rolleyes: he opened it up again and this time I was ready - and kept up effortlessly for about another 5 miles of twisty bits and long wide straights. He obviously knew the road as he was using the exact same overtaking opportunities as I do every day. I'd almost be bold enough to say at one point where he'd merged with traffic that I could have gotten past to merge in front of him but I wanted to play keep-up to see whether it was possible so nuzzled in behind him.

This was exactly what I'd been looking for - some sort of decent benchmark to judge the real performance and handling of my baby against. As the scoob driver indicated to turn off into a sideroad he blipped his hazards and waved out of the window. Whether he was acknowledging me or the car I don't care - but I got to work with a smile on my face for the first time in 18 months!

:D

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's always room for beer!

Coming out of Congleton towards Alderley Edge on the A34. Wouldnt say I 'had him' as I never got past.

It's hard enough overtaking ppl who want to be overtaken on that stretch of road - never mind those who definately don't!

;)

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Not a bad bit of road really, all gets silly in the mornings around Zeneca at Alderley Edge and the lights. I do like the A537 twixt Macc and Buxton tho, up by the Cat and Fiddle.
For a bit of fast work, the A50 from Holmes Chapel to Knutsford ain't bad, mind you I did recently get awarded 3 points and the request to donate 60 quid to Inspector Knacker of Cheshire there.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Chaps

If you meet up for an ale count me in as I work for AZ at Alderley. Be nice to put some faces to the names.

It would have to be during the week.

kev

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Maybe the forming of a club ??

I live just south of Whitchurch, which is not a million miles from you guys. Give me a shout if you decide to meet up.

Mike:cool:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey dave - watch yourself on the 537

It's full of suicidal bikers who seem to enjoy ending their lives across the bonnets of more substantial vehicles on that road.

I grew up near the Setter Dog Pub on that road and a weekend wouldn't pass without some meat wagon hairing past with the remnants of some 2 wheel maniac inside.

But you're right - it's a good road, in fact one of the few roads where I managed to get my 180 to give me a bit of understeer... Some of those bends are *severe*

As for the suggestion by ppl for a gathering for a shandy or two.....

There's always room for beer.

:cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts