MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my first TF problem

After slowing down at a round about either my brake pedal stuck down, or the brakes were binding because the car reacted like a nova doing 10mph in 4th !! a few hard pumps and I was away again.

My first thought is the pedal was stuck because there was no play in the pedal but who knows.

:( hoping it was just a one off

·
The Scarlet one returns...
1,040 Posts
Just a thought...

Do you have floor mats? I ask because i have had this in my F and it was caused by a floor mat coming free of the studs and 'walking' itself forward until it jammed the pedal (clutch in my case).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
floor mats

No it wasn't the floor mats they are held down in the TF .(unsure about the F )

it hasn't happend since fingers crossed ;)

·
The Scarlet one returns...
1,040 Posts
Mats in an F (official ones anyway) have 2 plastic studs that you screw into the carpet. These studs then locate the mat 'securely' in the floorwell and stop it moving forwards. I assume it is the same in the TF, i can't see any reason why they would spend limited funds on changing the design anyway.

In my case, one of the studs pulled free (i think it wasn't secured to the carpet properly) and the other one came undone. The mat then over time gradually moved forwards (due to the movement of feet on pedals), up behind the pedals until it jammed the clutch mechanism. :eek:

Anyway, just a thought.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've had my TF since Friday and covered about 150 miles (Would you believe that I haven't been in it today!!). There is a intermittent knocking sound from the front (left side I think) when you brake -- It only knocks once. It also knocks when you go over speed humps. Any ideas ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Condensation

How do you know about my wife's false teeth ? :D :D :D
Not last time I checked, but I will have a look tomorrow.
Steve:D

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the 16" Eleven Spoke alloys fitted as part of the Sports Pack 2 which is standard on the TF160. I have the Standard Suspension.
I will probably drop it in at the dealers on Tuesday so they can take a look at the problem.
Steve

·
Registered
17 Posts
No sign of boot condensation.
Thought - Do you keep it garaged. Mine is outside for the moment until I can clear some space in the garage.
Knocking noise is getting worse (IMO). Spoke to the dealer today and they said bring it in tomorrow.
Steve

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Garage

Yes car stays in the garage most of the time why ?

no signs of knocking on my 135 let us know what the dealer says !!:eek:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Condensation
Maybe if you park it in the garage when hot (straight after driving), it may cause the condensation because the airflow is restricted -- Not sure.

Knocking
It has been to the garage and they cannot find the cause. They have checked and tightened all the running gear, but it still knocks. They say they need it for a full day to investigate which looks like it will be late next week.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Rob,
Good suggestion
I have only covered a couple of hundred miles so it could be the brakes, although the dealer had the front wheels off today and said they looked OK.
The knocking used to happen when braking from speed, but we are both of the opinion that it now only happens at slow speeds so maybe things are bedding in. It still doesn't explain why it happens when you go over speed humps although I haven't been over any in the last couple of days and it seems to mainly happen when I use the brakes or immediately after.
I'll see how things go.
Steve

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
!!

Enough of the problems how does it drive ?

have you got ABS ?

have you driven in high wind yet ?

has the 160 got the poor quality heater controls ?
I really want to change mine it looks crap !

·
MGF and ZTT pilot :)
863 Posts
Keith, all the TFs have the same slightly tacky silver coloured control knobs. Could be the subject of a really satisfying rant, but I'll spare you that! ;)

Alternatives are available. I reckon I'll go for the pukka alloy items from the Rover 200BRM. These are the expensive option. A cheaper option, that looks almost as good, and certainly in the same style, are the alloy covers from Mike Satur (http://www.mikesatur.co.uk)

If there are other alternatives, I'd love to hear about them! :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I like the drive of the car (previously had a Scenic and a 206, so hardly a comparison). Haven't had much chance to try the ABS, I was waiting for the garage to sort the knocking before giving it a full test.

Heater knobs are tacky, in fact all the magazines are right as the cockpit does let the car down.

I am just over 6ft and I find the driving position OK, although the pedals take some getting used to - The accelerator is lower than the brake, which means you have to lift your foot before you can apply the brake !!! Also, the top of your foot rubs on the bottom of the dash, which means it is an art to apply the brake quickly.
Not sure if it is the same on all TF's, but I may see if the garage can adjust something.

Steve

·
MGF and ZTT pilot :)
863 Posts
SteveG said:

I am just over 6ft and I find the driving position OK, although the pedals take some getting used to - The accelerator is lower than the brake, which means you have to lift your foot before you can apply the brake !!! Also, the top of your foot rubs on the bottom of the dash, which means it is an art to apply the brake quickly.
Not sure if it is the same on all TF's, but I may see if the garage can adjust something.
Steve - same problem with the MGF as well. I solved the pedal height problem by fitting an adjuster to the brake pedal (I found the clutch pedal to be okay). I can't remember how much it cost (it was a couple of years ago now!) - but they are still available from Mike Satur (see his web site http://www.mikesatur.co.uk - and no, I don't work for him!!! LOL ;) )

1 - 20 of 36 Posts