MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think mine is starting to rattle on the exhaust. How many are fitted to the 180 and what have you guys done to fix the problem when it arose?

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
If it is the little one welded on top of the intermediate pipe under the gear lever then just chop it off, surprised anyone still has any of those left though so it maybe elsewhere. If it's not that then I can't help as I have a 120 and the front section is different.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I think I have this problem also, mine is rattling at the intermediate section and at the rear of the car. I did bend mine a little, it cured it for a couple of days but then started knocking again.

Is this easily removable, what have other peeps done to solve this problem?

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I think mine is starting to rattle on the exhaust. How many are fitted to the 180 and what have you guys done to fix the problem when it arose?
Do you know where yours is rattling from? I think my rear piper backbox has moved as it is not completely central now, and I can't tell but it could be knocking on the metal exhaust shield which is bolted onto the bumper?

rear.jpg

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine sounds central to rear tbh. It is all original as I've had mine from new. So am I to guess it's most probably the smaller one that can be disguarded ?

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
Mine sounds central to rear tbh. It is all original as I've had mine from new. So am I to guess it's most probably the smaller one that can be disguarded ?
I would look at that first, it's held on by 4 small welds and it is common for one or two of them to fracture, the others will probably fail with some brute force. It doesn't seem to be needed but if your worried then you could replace it with some heat wrap tape to keep the heat away from the gear lever rubber.

This was mine at one year old:

An original rear section should be at the end of it's live by now!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Interesting Windy, so if you have an aftermarket exhaust you won't have any heatshield, I have a piper catback? Sorry to sound dumb! lol I guess i'm being lazy, need to take a look myself! :yup:

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where's that one in the picture. ( front pipe ? give me a clue if you could)

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
tcb mine sounds like it is rattling in a similar place to yours, apparently there is a heatshield located close to the fuel tank above the backbox. There is also one just below the gearlever.

Is your exhaust oe, or have you fitted an aftermarket one?

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
Where's that one in the picture. ( front pipe ? give me a clue if you could)
That is the end of the intermediate pipe where it connects to the cat pipe just under the gearlever, the little heatsheild sits on the top so isn't very obvious from underneath, it is only small but it can still make a fair noise. Others have yanked the thing off, I guess a large screwdriver might lever it off.

Mark, if you have a cat back then you wont have that heatshield and probably wont have any heat sheild there, although there are other heatsheilds further back they are all atached to the body rather than the exhaust so are unlikely to rattle because the engine is running, they would rattle when you go over bumps.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have had a hand crafted stainless cat back for past two years so I'm guessing mine must be the rear one. What's the best way to correct that one?

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
You must have exactly the same problem as me tcb, mine rattles from near the rear of the car, it's hard too pinpoint exactly where though without investigating further.

You can see the heatshield clearly in this pic (nicked from Dan1971, hope you don't mind), and where it ends by the fuel tank:

Exhaust004.jpg

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I forgot how long that is. Tbh mine could be anywhere throughout its length. Is it held up with cotton reel rubber mounts or what ? Problem I have is I've just had a new shiney drive and car jacking is banned.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I'm not sure what the heatshield is held on by, going to take a closer look over the bank holiday weekend and jack her up.

Oh, how are you going to do your bits on your zs now then, can you take it round a mate's?

Maybe if you get into the wife's good books she may let you do it on the driveway, or out on the road! lol :getcoat:

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I dont let on, but I use loads of cardboard and pieces of wood to look after the drive when I use a jack. Now the lad is a messy sod so as far as he's concerned we are banned from working on the drive.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Let us know if you find out whereabouts your rattle is coming from, going to take a proper look at mine over the bank holiday along with decorating the spare room!!

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It hasn't done it for two days now. Weird. It last did it rolling up to a roundabout on a downhill left lock. You will most likely get to grips with yours before me the way things are going.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
It sounds like your knocking sound has sorted itself out on your zs.

I do hope it is the heatshield that the exhaust is knocking on, as it seems to bang even over the slightest uneven road surface, but the roads here in Kent aren't the greatest!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts