MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bizarre place to temporarily hold World Cup posts! Anyway...

With Denmark's sound dismissal of the Champions today, plus the very real chance of Italy, Argentina et al joining them, am I still the only one to believe England have a chance to go all the way in this World Cup?

I'm the eternal optimist, I know, but we've got a very young squad (and as a Man Utd fan, know that it's only possible to win 2 trophies in a season with "kids") which is a great bonus not only for 2002 but also 2006 and beyond. The younger players fear nothing these days whereas in the past, the same could not be said. Chris Waddle walking up to the spot in 90 was a bundle of nerves. Becks looked cool as ice on Friday even although he's admitted the contrary subsequently.

We may not be the most technically gifted side and there's certainly room for improvement in areas of our team, but I for one have a very optimistic outlook for England under Sven no matter how early we exit K&J.

England 2-1 Nigeria by the way is my prediction.

F

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
If this is truly the case, a lot of companies will be in for a lot of payouts to their customers!!

One of the mobile phone operators were offering up to £50 (I think) phone credit for customers if England win the world cup

One of the big electrical retailers was offering a free telly to customers that have spent a certain amount if England win the world cup

One insurance company was offering £50 cashback for new customers if England win the world cup

And they must have thought it was unlikely..... :blah

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Know what you mean. Back in May last year England were 25-1 to win the competition which doesn't sound a lot but bearing in mind the short odds on France/Argentina/etc was effectively saying they had no chance. This was also the time before England had even qualified. They had two games left.

Somewhat bemusingly, I placed a bet on 13 May 2001 for England to win the World Cup at 25-1. How my mates all laughed. Might be me that has the last one though.

As for bizarre company promotions, Vodafone, sponsors of Man Utd, offered an interesting deal for the last Premiership season. They would give you £10 for every trophy we won in the season. As it turned out, Vodafone came out the best (unfortunately) but a novel idea and obviously built upon for the World Cup.

Nevertheless, England have a long way to go before they win anything. It's just nice to see them playing well for a change.

Are you an adopted Englishman at heart?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Adopted English woman please :D

'Nat Young' :)

Was born in Australia, but you wouldn't know from speaking to me - I have no accent :)

G

·
That's better - after Findlays prompt here we are for the moment until the end of the world cup at least.

COME ON ENGLAND!

Nat, who are you supporting??

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Ahhh it'd have to be England. I'd probably get bashed otherwise.

Besides, I think they might have a better chance than Australia!

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Are Australia even in it???? I think they got knocked out by Uruguay in the preliminaries...

Of course I might be wrong - I have been before, and I'm only really a casual observer.. :)

BTW, I'm not supporting England, I support GREAT BRITAIN. This means Scotland, Wales and (Northern) Ireland too... :D

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think Australia failed to qualify from the Oceanic Group although it was a close thing.

As for Great Britain, under FIFA rules, we're not allowed to submit a Great British team otherwise we'd probably win hands down.

F

G

·
England

Well I'm off the fence.

Born and bred in Yorkshire, so there's no way I'm supporting N.Ireland. :zap: Has to be England.

Although it is good to see N.Ireland through.

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't get me wrong...it's great to see the Irish thru even without Keano. But I don't think they have much further to go, especially if they face Spain next.

F

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
England all the way!!!

It has to happen.

English through and through (born in the people's republic of South Yorkshire!!)

G

·
Argantina = Going Home
France = Going Home

:beerchug :beerchug :beerchug :beerchug :beerchug :beerchug

England = Next 16

<h1> Way to go England </h1>

:beerchug :beerchug :beerchug :beerchug :beerchug :beerchug

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It was hardly a gem of a performance though. I only recall Scholesy hitting the bar and a load of long range speculative efforts, none of which brought a save out of their keeper.

If England play like that against Denmark, it's all over.

F

P.S. Italy to follow Argentina and France?

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Had further time to think about this morning's "performance".

Were we ***** or were we *****? Can't believe how awful we played today. Denmark must be p1ssing their sides!

However, we do seem to have the ability to raise our game when required and me thinks Saturday will be one of those times when required!

Still, at least the Argies and the Frogs have caught the plane back!!!

F

G

·
I thought the same - we could have so easily conceded many goals. Plus, the guys couldn't finish - how many times did Owen nearly score - painful?

Think you're right, they will raise their game when required on Saturday?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts