MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi
My wife drove her ZS180 to B'ham and back, everything normal. Then she turned off the engine, got out and pressed the keyfob button to lock the car - no response.
I've tried re-entering the code using the key in the drivers door lock, but still no change.
SINCE POSTING this I have discovered that I have been using the wrong number, in fact the Emergency Access Code has not been supplied with the car so I'm probably jiggered without it!
The exact state of the car is:
Engine immobilised
No Red light at all on the dashboard
Central locking doesn't operate in either direction
When you turn the ignition key, in position II the dashboard warning lights come on as usual but there is a beeping sound and the engine will not tun over when you turn the key to the last position. If you press the LH button on the keyfob the beeping stops and the engine will then turn over when you turn the key further, but will not fire.
I've been quoted £150 + VAT for someone to come and supply a new keyfob - does this sound reasonable?
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This might be totally unrelated but something similar happened to me a while ago after visiting the car wash.

Check and depress the engine cut off switch under the centre console - took me two weeks to diagnose that it had popped for some strange reason that i have not been able to fathom - hope it helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that, but I didn't know there was one. I've had a look but cant see anything obvious, where exactly is it? By the way the car is 2004 model, maybe yours is different?

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I would also try a new battery in the key fob, just incase.

If also when you press the left button as you say and the red light and beeping stops but when you fully turn the key it doesnt fire, try turning back to zero and then to position 3. I have found that if say when cleaning the car you leave the ignition on 1 after a few minutes the imobiliser will arm and you get red light an beeps if you turn straight to 3, they then disapear if the left button is pressed but the engine will not fire unless you turn the key back to zero (as if to take it out) and then back upto 3... if that makes sense, worth a quick try.

You can also check the solder joints in the key fob when you check the battery, sometimes they can crack and the buttons don't work properly, just look at the 3 joints for the battery holder and the joints to the two micro switches for obvious cracks.

Hope that helps,
Adam

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for that, but I didn't know there was one. I've had a look but cant see anything obvious, where exactly is it? By the way the car is 2004 model, maybe yours is different?
Mine is a 2004 110. I don't know about the 180 but mine is just behind the center console on the driver's side, see below

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
This is exactly the symptoms mine had about a month after I bought it. If you can get it fixed for £150 your doing very well. I swapped the ECU/BCU and fobs for a mathced set from another car and its been going for 3 more years like it.

Fobs come in pairs and its not easy to code them. Rover had my cer for 2 days and the fobs showed as working fine (hence why the red light flashes as you press the buttons) but the car would not fire only turn over. I knew it was the BCU as it started fine on the EKA although you do have to wait 5 minutes after entering the code before it will let you start the car on thses newer models (even Rover did not know that and could not drive it into the workshop until the missus told them how!) A bill for £600 later and I walked away as they were just clutching at straws with my money, didnt pay them a penny as they had acheived nothing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts