MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last year my 120+ suffered head gasket problems, i had it replaced with the uprated 3 layer and shim. now im faced with a similar problem but i dint think its gasket this time. i was driving a week ago when the engine started rattling very loud, i lost no power but the engine warning light began flashing, then the oil light came on i immediately pulled over to let it cool left it for about 15 minutes checked the oil and water it was jus the mayo residue at the bottom of the bottle but nothing in the engine side or in the oil cap, i topd a bit of oil from what i had in the boot and started to drive home the as the lights went off when i started the car so i thought it shuld be fine after a mile or so the car just gave up! i heard a nasty cranking noise then lost all power, apparently theres no compression in the engine, since then i took the engine apart with a mechanic to find mayo everywhere, but the gasket was fine no issues! so iv changed replaced the gasket agaian the waterpump thermostat and belts and flushed the whole of the engine myself aswell the radiator loads of junky goo came from all holes but its totally cleaned out now, i made sure there where no airlocks and water was flowing in the pipes freely, when filling the water followed the procedure by the book, one by one the coolant pipes have begun to tear and burst this includes the main pipe going from engine top to radiator, its seems the temperature rises to red a few minutes drive, the water goes low almost instantly i have searched hi and lo to find these pipes at scrappers and used parts places because the new option is quite expensive, can anyone shed any light as to why this is happening and where can i get any pipes, if not i might have to strip or sell the car because i cant afford to fix it right now its been fully serviced and maintained ever since i got it in 2007 any help would be much appreciated its a 2003 1.8 120+ with aircon thankyou in advance

·
Registered
608 Posts
last year my 120+ suffered head gasket problems, i had it replaced with the uprated 3 layer and shim. now im faced with a similar problem but i dint think its gasket this time. i was driving a week ago when the engine started rattling very loud, i lost no power but the engine warning light began flashing, then the oil light came on i immediately pulled over to let it cool left it for about 15 minutes checked the oil and water it was jus the mayo residue at the bottom of the bottle but nothing in the engine side or in the oil cap, i topd a bit of oil from what i had in the boot and started to drive home the as the lights went off when i started the car so i thought it shuld be fine after a mile or so the car just gave up! i heard a nasty cranking noise then lost all power, apparently theres no compression in the engine, since then i took the engine apart with a mechanic to find mayo everywhere, but the gasket was fine no issues! so iv changed replaced the gasket agaian the waterpump thermostat and belts and flushed the whole of the engine myself aswell the radiator loads of junky goo came from all holes but its totally cleaned out now, i made sure there where no airlocks and water was flowing in the pipes freely, when filling the water followed the procedure by the book, one by one the coolant pipes have begun to tear and burst this includes the main pipe going from engine top to radiator, its seems the temperature rises to red a few minutes drive, the water goes low almost instantly i have searched hi and lo to find these pipes at scrappers and used parts places because the new option is quite expensive, can anyone shed any light as to why this is happening and where can i get any pipes, if not i might have to strip or sell the car because i cant afford to fix it right now its been fully serviced and maintained ever since i got it in 2007 any help would be much appreciated its a 2003 1.8 120+ with aircon thankyou in advance
Sounds to me like you have a blockage somewhere? Which pipes are bursting, as the pipes on the engine side of the blockage will be the ones that are heating up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts