MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time I'm having trouble with a buyer on ebay. He's opened a case to claim a refund for a PC motherboard I sold him. Claims it doesn't work although I know for a fact it's a compatibility issue and he's probably bought the wrong replacement part for his PC.

I have no problem refunding him but apparently I also have to pay for his return postage because he says it's faulty. So in theory, if you have buyer's regret, all you have to do to get the seller to pay for the return postage is to claim that the item is faulty. Am I right?

I have responded to the claim by asking him to describe the problem (in this case, what CPU he is trying to install on the motherboard) but he won't respond. So I don't know what to do next.

Considering I paid almost 10 quid on postage and packaging and now I have to pay an extra 4 or 5 pounds for him to return it...what the hell is the point?

EDIT: Would it have made any difference if I had ticked the "Returns not accepted" box or would I still be in the same position?

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
EDIT: Would it have made any difference if I had ticked the "Returns not accepted" box or would I still be in the same position?
I doubt it.

Did he contact you first before claiming it faulty and filing a case?

I think I would respond by saying he pays for return postage so you can test it, if it is faulty then you refund postage, if it isn't tough at him.

·
Passionate about MGR.Cars.
4,082 Posts
Problem with ebay is they are all for the buyer & as soon as the buyer possibly by mistake presses one of the options you the seller are doomed.

I think you have more right if you select Returns Not Accepted as it means just that. I made that error recently though not sure how recently on the one transaction where the buyer just happened to think the item was something else. Annoyingly the item sold for a strong price, he paid the return postage then I refunded him by paypal (should have done it through the returns section but didn't realise). I sold the item on again but at over £45 less.

I checked all my listings after that and amended any to say Returns Not Accepted!!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's true, ebay is tipped in the buyers favour. That's not necessarily a bad thing but unless you're a high volume seller you can't take a hit like that. I'm never going list anything with returns accepted again. I think in the future I will actually say in the listing that I won't refund postage whatever the ebay policy. It might filter out a few of the "chancers" and other clueless buyers.

Problem with ebay is they are all for the buyer & as soon as the buyer possibly by mistake presses one of the options you the seller are doomed.

I think you have more right if you select Returns Not Accepted as it means just that. I made that error recently though not sure how recently on the one transaction where the buyer just happened to think the item was something else. Annoyingly the item sold for a strong price, he paid the return postage then I refunded him by paypal (should have done it through the returns section but didn't realise). I sold the item on again but at over £45 less.

I checked all my listings after that and amended any to say Returns Not Accepted!!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He contacted me through my paypal email and then immediately after filed a case. So obviously not a seasoned ebayer.

I doubt it.

Did he contact you first before claiming it faulty and filing a case?

I think I would respond by saying he pays for return postage so you can test it, if it is faulty then you refund postage, if it isn't tough at him.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
If the item does end up getting returned make sure it is the actual item you sent and not his faulty MB that gets returned.

Ebay is generally tilted towards protecting buyers from dodgy sellers, but there are plenty of doubtful buyers who exploit that fact.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He's accepted that he bought the wrong part and is sending it back at his own expense. But yeah, people do try it on. I think it's more a case of "Seller beware" on ebay. I've never had any problem as a buyer that wasn't resolved.

If the item does end up getting returned make sure it is the actual item you sent and not his faulty MB that gets returned.

Ebay is generally tilted towards protecting buyers from dodgy sellers, but there are plenty of doubtful buyers who exploit that fact.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts