MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All

In the last 6 months my ZS180 has been eating side light and headlight bulbs.
I think I must have been through 2 x headlights and 2 sidelights (at least).

Any thoughts what might be causing this? OK it could be a poor batch of bulbs, but it seems quite an appetite!

Thanks

Andrew

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Check the bulb filament to make sure it's blown before throwing it away. I was having a similar problem then one day I banged the rear light cluster with my fist and the bulb flickered back on. A few weeks later it burned out completely and curiously took a front light with it! Put a new bulb in and the same happened again. Make sure the flexible electrical contact which touches the base of the bulb is properly raised to ensure a good contact. I actually had a spare bulb holder unit and changed it over...problem solved.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fot the comments guys.

Yes I've done the give it a whack technique before and sometimes it works, but in this case it's the drivers side headlight and it remains stubbornly out (repplaced it just a few weeks ago)

Probably needs a more expensive/different brand bulb, and check the connections

Andrew

·
Registered
1 Posts
Worth checking the wiring insulation and the plastic connector block for the headlamp bulb for over-heating.

I have seen a number or 45/MGZS with badly burned wiring/connectors which have fused together and taken out the bulbs.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have had the same problem. Are you using xenon bulbs as they do burn at a higher temp. Mine burnt out the plastic connector. I have now bought some standard Osram H7 55w halogen bulbs and will see how I get on with those.

·
Mercedes W638
1,854 Posts
When I had my first ZS180 I bought Halfords bulbs to replace the headlights when they failed. I got through 6 in the space of 3 months. I then fitted some Philips bulbs and they lasted until I sold the car over 2 years later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts