MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking to myself this morning while I was singing along with the radio (my favourite past time while stuck in rush hour traffic) I wonder if my idea of 'driving music' is the same as everyone else's.

So...what's your favourite driving music? :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Depends on the mood:

For fast and agressive driving round those mountian bends has to be Def Leppards Hysteria Album (this album should have a safety warning, can induce red mist effect)

For cruising home after a bad day at the office or stuck on the M25 has to be Classic FM

At the momment my favourite is Nickelback for the mad momments :D

A touch of Dido or the Corrs always brings out my sensative side when giving young ladies a lift :D

All time best ever album to do anything to ;) Queen's Greatest Hits

For those inspector morse moments a touch of Puchini always goes down well on full power with the windows down. For a hint of the more modern with a touch of base try Daft Punk

·
aka Simon
579 Posts
Research on music and accidents

Interesting article on the bbc news website today(www.bbc.co.uk/news) about some research into the effect of music on driving. By hooking up some students to a "driving simulator" (probably a Playstation :D ) the researchers find that the students were twice as likely to have an accident or run a red light when listening to "fast" (120+bpm) than slow (60bpm) music. Yes, it's just a small-scale survey and simulators are different from the real thing, but it makes you think...

·
Registered
388 Posts
If I'm going with the flow (of traffic) or stuck in a jam, I usually go for some melodic blues, which I can sing along to when crawling or stationary - something like Robert Cray, Taj Mahal, Tommy Castro, ... :cool:

When there is an empty, open, twisty bit of road ahead, I turn off the stereo and turn up that gorgeous V6 soundtrack instead... :D Life is good.

S.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Music

The best album for me at the moment is Sunday 8pm by Faithless. Morcheba, Big Calm is a brilliant album. Any Jimi Hendrix album in my book is good to drive too (Band of Gypsies in particular).

Good Question ...?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Current CD's in the car....

Beverley Knight - Who I am
Reelin' in the years - the best of Steely Dan
Terry Hall - The best of
The Macc Lads - Beer'nSex'nChips'nGravy
Paul Simon - Shining like a National Guitar (Greatest)

Oh, and a recording of my SD1 V8 with a straight pipe going thru the Mersey Tunnel at 2.00 am with nowt else about....

:cool: :cool: :cool:

G

·
Does SLADE count - SLADE ALIVE - that's in the single play?
Multi changer - can't remember all 10.

Madonna - True Blue.
Shaggy.

In fact that's all I can remember. :(

Now tend to listen to Radio 2 - can't stand Radio 1 these days - all the feeble inuendo's.

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Currently in the car

Cold Play - Parachutes
Led Zep 2
Sting/Police - greatest hits
Thin Lizzie - Live and Dangerous
Linda Ronstadt - Hasten Down the Wind (for those mellow moments)

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I've got a multi changer too - 10 disc.

Hey don't knock Slade - Slade are cool :D
Had an old LP of theirs hanging around somewhere...

True Blue - yep, got that and the majority of Madonna's other albums too. I'm a bit of an 80s buff you see :D

Ummm what else have I got in there??

Crash Test Dummies - God Shuffled His Feet
Sliding Doors soundtrack
Jamiraquoi - A Funk Odyssey
Top Gear driving music - various artists - the inspiration for this thread
:)

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
<<Crash Test Dummies - God Shuffled His Feet >>

My wife's favourite album! That Bass Baritone voice is strange, but memorable.
Have to agree about Radio 1 - I too am an R2 person now, but I do like Century 105 - a Commercial equivalent in the North West.
A few years back, I was working on some equipment at Manchester's Picadilly Radio, and I met Noddy Holder, ex of Slade, who was presenting on their AM service. Had a wonderful chat, he really is a gent.

We should not forget Birmingham reggae band, UB40.....The lead singers Robin and Ali Cambell joined in the march to save Rover, and entertained us all afterwards at Cannon Hill park, with an emotional rendering of "You'll never walk alone". Do try the debut album "Signing Off" as the ideal sampler.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UB40 are quite good, yeah. I'll agree on that :)

In the car at the moment I've also got:

Jools Holland and Friends
Kylie - Fever
Kylie - Light Years
and
Stereophonics - Just Enough Education To Perform

Fever is her best IMHO and being Australian I'm a Kylie fan - sorry

:D

G

·
Now Steroephonics, I think are great - that's an album that's in the car. Took my son to see them in Reading 18 months or so back - brilliant. I reckon I was the oldest person there - all I had to do was jump up and down to be part of the scene! :D

Kylie - who? Haven't got any of her albums! Australians Nat, thats' a good subject, I fly with 'em and they call us "whinging poms." :)

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kylie MINOGUE, Jerry :D :D

To look at me or to hear me speak you wouldn't have any idea that I was born in Australia.

I lived there for 17 years before I came here on my own and now I'm as British as you can get :D :D

I certainly sound english anyway, although that's said there are a few words that catch me out occassionally. I'm always getting teased :(

G

·
In 88, I was in Oz for month for a RAF competition - there was also something about a bicentenial celebration going on. :D

Had a great time - a week in Canberra and 3 in Adelaide. Drunk our way through the sponsors beer and then polished off some wine in the Barossa Valley. Cultures a bit suspect though - but I would retire there - houses half UK price and with pools - all those Barbies and Tinnies. :D

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a bicentennial coin to mark that event :D
I believe that coin is still in Australia at my Mum's house :)

I was born in Melbourne - about a 20 minute drive from Altona and Williamstown beaches. I grew up in a little place called Yarraville and went to school in Footscray before dropping out to educate myself via distance education. It was the best thing I ever did :)

Then after I'd finished my schooling I came here and I haven't looked back. I get homesick quite often because my family are still there but I wanted to broaden my horizons and see the world - and here is where I ended up :D

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think I must be driving the wrong car..

I like to listen to UK Garage, old skool hip-hop and fast hard dance music when driving.

And yes - when theres some particularly fast or bassy track - I generally drive more aggressively.

Do you think I should swap my lovely ZS180 for a souped up corsa or nova and join the baseball capped kids in local Kwik-Save carpark?

:D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts