MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK

I was worried after 5,000 miles in My ZS180 that I was still using oil and there was oil in the air fliter housing and breather hose :eek:

After much investigation and talking to various dealers. Kernhans of Witney, being the most helpful (Cheers Jerry). Also thanks to Roger Parker at the MG Owners Club. I have concluded the following (brief outline of advise from various knowlegable sources)

Oil use in the KV6 is normal ( I used about 2 litres in 5,000 miles) as is small amounts of oil in the breather and air filter housing, apprently this is true of all KV6 engines old or young fitted to ZS180 or not. Maybe someone with an old 800 can confirm this?

Up to about 5,000 miles (conservative estimate) engine can be treated with reasonable respect so as to run it in after about 5,000 the engine benefits from being driven a lot harder and using the full range of revs in order to bed the rings in correctly this will help reduce oil consumption. Please note, don't blame me if you lose your licence whilst trying to adopt this method :D

There was a lot more detail regarding oils use(particularly from Roger), but thats the basics.

Hope that's useful to other, certainly put my mind at rest :cool:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Climber said:
the engine benefits from being driven a lot harder and using the full range of revs in order to bed the rings in correctly this will help reduce oil consumption.
Ah, that would explain why my ZS180 hasn't used any oil other than half-a-litre or so during the first couple of thousand miles. :D Do you think that "I was just trying to stop my engine from using oil, officer" would work? ;)

S.

·
MG ZT-T 190
6,716 Posts
I was lucky in that my car had alredy got 4000 miles on the clock when I bought it, driving it relatively hard (for me) has not been a problem! :)

Kelvin

·
Registered
84 Posts
Running In....

Hi,

I bought my ZS180 last week and it only has 250 miles on the clock. I'm dying to give it some stick - whats the recommended mileage before giving some revs??

Cheers.

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
With both my ZS and my wifes ZR we did the following;

Keep revs below 3000 for first 600 miles (hard - i know)
Gradually increase after this ( up to 1000 miles)

We have not had any engine problems with either car, although with 4+k on the ZS and 2 1/2 k on the ZR both are still loosening up and can be expected to do so for a little while yet.

·
Registered
84 Posts
JLD said:
With both my ZS and my wifes ZR we did the following;

Keep revs below 3000 for first 600 miles (hard - i know)
Gradually increase after this ( up to 1000 miles)

We have not had any engine problems with either car, although with 4+k on the ZS and 2 1/2 k on the ZR both are still loosening up and can be expected to do so for a little while yet.
So you own a ZR and a ZS - lucky man ;)
You aint wrong about trying to keep the revs below 3000 !
Done another 50 miles today - half way to the 600

Cheers
Karl

1 - 6 of 6 Posts