MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just out of interest i was thinking has anybody that has kept there kv6 had the cams and diff flywheel done and tried it on the strip if soo what times did they get?

·
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.
12,325 Posts
quickest standard cars have made 14.9 - 15.1
add full breathing mods and cams and about 14.5 running at full weight.
add lightweight flywheel, lightweight wheels and 40 profile tyres, will see you about 14.0, strip some weight out to go quicker.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
quickest standard cars have made 14.9 - 15.1
add full breathing mods and cams and about 14.5 running at full weight.
add lightweight flywheel, lightweight wheels and 40 profile tyres, will see you about 14.0, strip some weight out to go quicker.
sounds pretty good , you may be a good person to ask but what tuning capabilities are available for the t series turbo? theres one i may be buying but i might not bother if it wont go much quicker than my v6.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
My old car ran a 13.7 the day after I sold it to Ross on here.
That was with breathing mods, 270 cams, lightweight flywheel + wheels, diff and interior stripped out

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
^ as above, rollered at 211bhp.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
You'll require a fairly tuned T16 to match a well set-up KV6 with weight reduction, this point has been proven many times at POD and track days.
Not taking anything away from the T16 they are capable of big power with the right modifications, I had one in a 25 shell running well over 400bhp.
There will always be a compromise with either route when tuned or modified, the question to ask is ultimately what do you want from the car.
You'll find plenty of threads/post on the site for all your questions, these threads go back into 2002 when the first induction kits arrived on the market for the KV6, since then things have evolved 10 fold, from cams, NOS, super chargers and everything in between.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You'll require a fairly tuned T16 to match a well set-up KV6 with weight reduction, this point has been proven many times at POD and track days.
Not taking anything away from the T16 they are capable of big power with the right modifications, I had one in a 25 shell running well over 400bhp.
There will always be a compromise with either route when tuned or modified, the question to ask is ultimately what do you want from the car.
You'll find plenty of threads/post on the site for all your questions, these threads go back into 2002 when the first induction kits arrived on the market for the KV6, since then things have evolved 10 fold, from cams, NOS, super chargers and everything in between.
so what are you saying that if i spend money on a good diff,cams and light flywheel it will be just as quick as alot of the turbo conversions? cuz ive been debating on weather to under take a vag conversion or a t16 ....alot of people say that the turbo conversions are miles better quicker and more reliable is this the case?

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I have a ZS180 with exhaust and induction and I have a MG maestro with a T16 with exhaust and induction, both hit roughly the same speeds at roughly the same points.

Personally I wouldn't replace a KV6 with a T16 but anything with a K4 and PG1 is game.

·
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.
12,325 Posts
so what are you saying that if i spend money on a good diff,cams and light flywheel it will be just as quick as alot of the turbo conversions? cuz ive been debating on weather to under take a vag conversion or a t16 ....alot of people say that the turbo conversions are miles better quicker and more reliable is this the case?
i had the vag engine conversion and regardless of whatever you do to a kv6 it will never be anywhere near as quick. The vag engine had the torque of 2 kv6's combined...imagine dropping another kv6 in the rear of a zs so you had a twin engined zs and then you would have similar performance to the vag engine.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i had the vag engine conversion and regardless of whatever you do to a kv6 it will never be anywhere near as quick. The vag engine had the torque of 2 kv6's combined...imagine dropping another kv6 in the rear of a zs so you had a twin engined zs and then you would have similar performance to the vag engine.
sounds like a vag engine is the way to go how much does it cost to get a conversion ?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I would stick with the kv6 for now. No point having a extra 100bhp or so with out being able to put it to good use! Diff, light weight wheels + flywheel, big brake kit and tweaked suspension will transform your car. (Cams are espensive and won't give you much). Then if you want more power a engine conversion would be a good option and you already have all the ground work done

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would stick with the kv6 for now. No point having a extra 100bhp or so with out being able to put it to good use! Diff, light weight wheels + flywheel, big brake kit and tweaked suspension will transform your car. (Cams are espensive and won't give you much). Then if you want more power a engine conversion would be a good option and you already have all the ground work done
that is true but would alot of it not be done whilst the conversion was done? ive already got a quote of rally matt to get the quaiffe diff n gear box sorted do you know any one that does bigger brakes? cheers luke

·
He Urinates 98 RON Petrol!!!!
2,192 Posts
the way to appreciate it all is to do the things a bit at a time, then you will notice the differences and improvements, you will see the gains. Throwing money at it and doing it all at once you will soon get bored.

I would stay with the kv6 mine took years of abuse and never missed a beat. Proper drivers car, still one of the best engines out there.

Sie

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tbh i think my problem is i just want a quick car and a kv6 is quick but its not quick enough for me ive driven porches ,other modded cars scooby etc and they are much quicker than the zs but i like the styling of the zs compared to most cars. i would keep the kv6 if it could produce more torque and power. its also the element of surprize no one would expect a 'rover' to be that quick.
and rover parts are getting rare and its gonna get to a point that insurance companies will be writing our cars off over silly little things. or the cars are just not repariable.

·
Registered
385 Posts
tbh i think my problem is i just want a quick car and a kv6 is quick but its not quick enough for me ive driven porches ,other modded cars scooby etc and they are much quicker than the zs but i like the styling of the zs compared to most cars. i would keep the kv6 if it could produce more torque and power. its also the element of surprize no one would expect a 'rover' to be that quick.
and rover parts are getting rare and its gonna get to a point that insurance companies will be writing our cars off over silly little things. or the cars are just not repariable.
Plenty of parts around m8, will be for years yet.

Insurance companies write loads of cars of these day, guy next door just had his jag written off for front end damage and that was a 10k car.

Last time I looked wasn't the vag conversion 6-7k?? That's alot of wedge for 300hp even with a dollop of torque. Not sure if Martin produces a kit but let us know if he does.

Rob (ttrw) I think on rovertech produces a kit that uses rs focus disc's with brembo 4 pots from pug coupe's . There are quite a few of us who run these kits and rate them but others shy away because they use spacers.

Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Plenty of parts around m8, will be for years yet.

Insurance companies write loads of cars of these day, guy next door just had his jag written off for front end damage and that was a 10k car.

Last time I looked wasn't the vag conversion 6-7k?? That's alot of wedge for 300hp even with a dollop of torque. Not sure if Martin produces a kit but let us know if he does.

Rob (ttrw) I think on rovertech produces a kit that uses rs focus disc's with brembo 4 pots from pug coupe's . There are quite a few of us who run these kits and rate them but others shy away because they use spacers.

Cheers
Paul
yeah i think it is around 6k i know alot of parts are still available but its the things like the plenum and vis motors are getting rare arnt they? which does make you loose power if they arnt working properly .

oryt how much are you guys paying for the big brake kits ? would be interested to see what is available for what price..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts