MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
MG ZT-T 190
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering downsizing from the ZS180 to a ZR Not sure if I should consider selling first and looking for a ZR, or wheter maybe do an exchange...
Is there anyone out there considering upsizing from a ZR to a ZS?

Kelv

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Drive one first, the ZS is a much nicer drive - if I'm not using my ZS for any reason I'd rather take the F than my wifes ZR.

·
Economy motoring
2,301 Posts
ZR's are fantastic cars to chuck around but the downside is rock hard suspension with very poor damping. I found my old facelift ZR had poor interior build quality too. The ZS was so much more refined to drive, even with Xpower springs. It depends on what you want from the car. Great for a young'un, not so great if you want to get from A to B in comfort. 1.4's need to be ragged to death to get em to shift too. I loved my ZR though, but it was a workout to drive day to day. On it's day driving down a tight twisty B road i thought it was more fun than my old ZS tbh. Drive the different variants and see if you like any.

·
Elegantly Wasted
286 Posts
As talking cars says get a good drive in a zr first. I loved mine when i had it and would easy have another but going from a zs to zr could easy feel like a backward step and you could well regret getting rid of your 180 for one:) They are not bad cars at all but depending on how you like your car ride you may feel them too harsh:)

·
MG ZT-T 190
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The thinking is for financial considerations, plain and simple, I dont really want to downsize. I more than anyone appreciate the qualities of the ZS, hence the dilema for me. Looking at the prices I did not realise a secondhand ZR went for as much as they do.. I thought there might be a bit more 'equity' as it were in the ZS :(

·
www.irishhillclimb.com
211 Posts
just a tip for ye...
UK prices for ZRs and MGs in general seem to be double and more of what i would expect to pay in ROI for same
Maybe it would be an idea to buy here, clear and still have change?
Ours cars tend to have much less rust and underbody corosion due to lack of salt on the roads,
However the downside is little or no service history or even basic servicing
Hard to find a good one
Check out DoneDeal.ie if this gets you thinking, might pick up a bargain ;)

·
Still not cured of MG addiction
7,110 Posts
The ZS is a better car for less money but like you I've noticed that the ZR holds it's value much better. Simple reason is it's popular with the kids.

Refinement would bother me too. I still daydream about getting a ZR160 but I got rid of one years ago and know I'd need to do work on it:

-replace dampers with standard ZR spec dampers as the 160 spec are just too firm for the road
-dynamatting the interior
-change the final drive to get the revs down on the motoway
-swap the wheels from 17" to 16" as the ZR is a nightmare on 17's, the ride is shocking and they tramline badly in motorway tarmac grooves caused by trucks hammering the first lane. Not fun at 70mph!

The 1.8vvc engine is a corker though in my opinion. Smooth power from idle to the limiter with no steps like the KV6 has. I loved the 200vi I had, and loved the engine in my ZR160, but not the rest of the car.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I'm too old to drive a ZR and I'm too young to drive a ZT....
I'm sure I've offended lots there!

What about a smaller engined ZS Kelvin?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
i like my zr and was driving it for a week solid, loved the thing, then i jumped in the zs and wow you dont realise the difference i guess till youve been driving something else, things like the steering feel much nicer on the zs, and in general how the car is on the road, handling as well found the zs glides round the corners a lot better, and the zr has got different suspension on it as well to make it sit a bit lower and handle better, but feel a bit less refined, if its financial why not go buy a zs120?

or if your wanting to do the mega cheap go buy one with a failed engine fix it and youve got a cheap car for very little

·
MG ZS 180 MKI
3,364 Posts
My perants had a MKI ZR and I got a MKII ZR before changing to the ZS180. The ZR is like what someone else has said. You just want to chuck it around like its a rally car. I loved it if only it had the power too. If I was you I'd go for the 160 and bang the full exhaust system on there and up it too 180, Least thats what I would have done. Stay away from MKII ZRs I found the seats fell apart as well as the rest of the insides of it. Very poor build on MKIIs. MKI can not fault. Nice little car that loves to be chucked about.

·
back in my 3rd 180
222 Posts
The thinking is for financial considerations, plain and simple, I dont really want to downsize. I more than anyone appreciate the qualities of the ZS, hence the dilema for me. Looking at the prices I did not realise a secondhand ZR went for as much as they do.. I thought there might be a bit more 'equity' as it were in the ZS :(
this is the same reason i sold my 180 for,petrol aint getting any cheaper lol,the school run etc,i bought a 105 mk 2 zr,you do miss the 180 but its life tbh,and plus my other half drives it so,its the best of both worlds,in my opinion

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
We had a 25 for a while and it was a great little car, but the important word there is "liittle"
Nowhere to put left foot, small doors and dash seems to be around knees. Without wishing to offend anyone the 25 felt like a great shopping car whereas the ZS feels like a tourer.
I would probably be looking at going for a ZS diesel or 120 in your situation.
Only trouble is you've known your car from day one, anything else you may buy could have had a number of owners - all with varying degrees of mechanical sympathy.
Hardly use my ZS lately and had considered getting a 260 but you just don't know what you'd be buying into, maybe I'm just too comfortable sticking with what I know

·
Biomorphic and the sun,perfection
3,290 Posts
I'm too old to drive a ZR and I'm too young to drive a ZT....
I'm sure I've offended lots there!

What about a smaller engined ZS Kelvin?
Yep................................:hammerhea....:D

As said before Kelv,the ZR is the most fun car I have owned but it is quirky,in 160 guise it's like a rocket on rails but refined it aint...............

·
Registered
407 Posts
not owned a ZR or even driven one, but have done about 10k miles in rally_matt's little r25 over the past few years.

Have to echo every-one else's comments here though, the step down in size and comfort & refinement from a ZS to ZR sized car is quite substantial. - Matt described mine as: 'A windsor chair with an ASBO'

I personally would not do it if it were me - if you aer doing a lot of miles then a derv ZS ought to be considered, but it will take more money to buy one on top of the sale of the 180, as they hold the value better...

I stay stick with the 180 as you know the history of the car, and maybe get soething else small for the shorter trips - maybe put the ZS on limited mileage insurance and use it for those day trips in summer etc....

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
The ZR is a cracking "fun" car. I love mine to bits, and although I dream of say V6 power at the end of the day its 2010 and petrol isn't getting cheaper. The ZR 105 is a good all round compromise on price and performance when you look at the Zed range and for me its a cracking day to day car.

The ride though, is something you either love or hate - it's firm, VERY VERY firm but to be honest on a motorway in the 105 its fine, I appreciate the feed back you get whilst driving as your really do get a feel for what the car is doing but on badly surfaced roads you will swear quite a bit at the local council. Speed bumps, best take them at 2mph lol

The ZR was never meant as a track car and will understeer if you cock about too much but you 'll take corners faster than most hatch backs on the road and body roll is something of next to no worry. In its class, the 105 was one of the best handling cars but they achieved that by making it rock solid on the damping front.

Cheap to run, and the early ones are the ones to nab for build quality.

If I were getting another ZR, it'd be the oil burner - very similar to the ZR 105 but with a higher top end (Who in their right minds will be doing 115mph + anyway!) and better fuel economy.

Not about to sell the ZR anytime soon, the plan is to lock it up and get and oil burner in 4/5 years time.

That's pretty much my opinion on it, try one see what you think. Personally, I think they've got bags of character, one of the best looking 9 year old cars on the road and hold their value pretty well.

PS:

If you get anywhere near me, let me known and you can take mine out for a drive

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I have never driven a ZR, so I can't really comment. But as said with the recision, and the cost of fuel it does make sense to downsize if needs be.

I have contemplated downsizing and getting a more economical car, and having a bit more cash in my pocket, but I can't face getting rid of the 180 just yet unless things start to really get tight.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Never driven a ZR, but a R200 BRM is a very nice drive - generally don't get more than 34mpg out of both of ours with a 50-50 mix of motorway and b-roads.

Less wobbly than a standard Vi or other variant, but apparently more compliant on road than a ZR160.

Agree with the comment above on the VVC - tis a great little engine being smooth and flexible. We've got two BRMs in the house and should be collecting a VVC coupe for my daughter on the weekend too. (I am a bit worried if one should go 'pop' though)

·
7,110 Posts
Never driven a ZR, but a R200 BRM is a very nice drive - generally don't get more than 34mpg out of both of ours with a 50-50 mix of motorway and b-roads.

Less wobbly than a standard Vi or other variant, but apparently more compliant on road than a ZR160.
I'd imagine that's exactly right. I've never been in a BRM, my 200vi was a firmish ride but didn't really handle that well unfortunately, it felt great to drive but if pushed it understeered.

My ZR was the 160 which has a different setup to the rest of the ZR range. Plus they all have the 17" wheels. On a smooth piece of tarmac I bet it grips as well as anything out there, but as said above the damping is very firm, mine didn't like bumps mid corner.

My preferred option on a ZR would be standard (non-160) suspension with 16" wheels. That's probably the best all-round setup for the roads, it's what you'd get as standard with a Rover 25 GTi as well I think.

·
7,110 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts