MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a track day yesterday, got mintex performance pads on which have only been on the car for 2 months, took the brakes apart to properly check them before the track day, all fine, good condition and hardly worn.. after about 20 laps, NOTHING LEFT!!!!!!!! apart form lots of smoke. hhmmm money well spent??? i think not! DONT BUY THEM!

on a positive note, no one knew what i was driving, and i kept getting questions like is that 4 wheel drive? whats that got 300-400bhp?? and generally got a lot of interest from people trying to work out what it was. No one believed it only had 190bhp

love my mg even more now!

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
"I'm off to the garage, my car feels a little slow today" - taxi

Where did you get them from? I've had two sets from a2ziggy or whatever his name was on ebay and they seem to be ok for road use and they survived a few tame 'ring alps.

·
Got the MG bug bad...
1,307 Posts
Ive had the same pads on my road car and done over 5k on them. Not had a problem with them tbh, although im sure a track day would give them some punishment.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I put mintex pad on all four corners just over 1000 miles ago, and they've been great! Really pleased with them.

Maybe you have a problem with your calipers? The pistons were slightly seized on my motorbike's rear brake caliper and the pads wore down VERY quickly! Might be worth a check if your pads only lasted 20 laps...

·
Registered nUber
2,259 Posts
Ive had a set of mintex on the front for two track days with OE discs and theve held out well, similar to OE from my experience. Sounds like you had a bad batch maybe?

Ive got mintex discs and pads on the metro too and theyre lasting well, not half as much hammer as the ZS but still cant fault them for the money.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I put mintex pad on all four corners just over 1000 miles ago, and they've been great! Really pleased with them.

Maybe you have a problem with your calipers? The pistons were slightly seized on my motorbike's rear brake caliper and the pads wore down VERY quickly! Might be worth a check if your pads only lasted 20 laps...
i think id know about it if both calipers had seized! plus they are both worn down exactly the same on both sides. they did seem really good on the road, but i was braking really really hard on the track. to give them a bit of credit tho i didnt get much brake fade. even when smoke was pouring off them

·
Mercedes W638
1,854 Posts
What grade performance Mintex pads are you using (e.g. 1144 or 1166)? I've used 1144 in a race MGF and they've lasted 6 track days.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I thought you has wilwoods on the blue one?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have been using Mintex in all my race cars for 9 years and never had a problem.
You must have been using the wrong compound.
You want at least 1166 or above for trackdays.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
If they were the cheap mintex pads no wonder they didnt last.
Proper mintex pads like 1144 1166 are about £80-100 a set

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have been using Mintex in all my race cars for 9 years and never had a problem.
You must have been using the wrong compound.
You want at least 1166 or above for trackdays.
Yup mintex were used in all Mg race cars including the rally cars there's a page on this site somewhere

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can't remember the exact type, they cost £130 so I think they were decent ones. These were on the red car as the blue ones having a new roll cage fitted. Pretty ****ed with the short life on them, specially as they weren't that cheap

·
Registered
559 Posts
Uff 20 laps in race mode is really enough. If you take into consideration WTTC cars ran same number of laps and have better brakes(thicker/bigger-but more power from 280-350bhp). For track days you need better compound. I used to have pagids on my rover420sdi (77kw) never been to track with it, but on normal road than can take few times heavy braking´s to zero when fading come.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts