MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
True Brit
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do, what is the point of having a 2.5 MG that is slower than the 2.5 Rover? I think the 190 should be the only entry ZT.

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Robin, remember that the fastest car isn't necessarily the one that is fastest from 0-60 - not every road is a drag strip. The 160 has the same suspension as the 190, and it could beat the 75 into submission round the bends.

I do think it's a shame they didn't have a little more power though (both models). (perhaps ZT170 and ZT200?).

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Whilst I can see Robin's point, I think that there may be other factors that we maybe don't always consider.
Some years ago Ferrari added a 2 litre version of the 308, called the 208. The smaller engine size put it in a different tax class in Italy.
Could this be the case with a market that MGR are looking at?

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
John, could be, but I don't think so, as even the 160 is in a higher tax banding..... :(

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Didn't think that it would be, just a thought.

Nice that people have the choice though.

G

·
BHP or Kudos?

We all desire - BHP. But not all can afford the running costs - whether it be insurance or fuel. But we want the look and kudos - hence the ZT160. If you think the ZT160 should be dropped what about the ZT180? Obviously MGR must have a market for the cars - otherwise they wouldn't have seen daylight.

That's why people all don't buy the ZR160 or ZS180??

What do you think?

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
We have 2 Zeds - a ZR and a ZS.
Neither are the highest spec available but both were bought to meet our needs/desires.
The amount of town driving which I do every week, compared with the time when I could realistically use the performance, made a ZS120 a much more appealing choice. Likewise with Elaine's ZR.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think the 160 might be more attractive if it had a 2 litre engine, this would have lowered company car tax ( especially the fuel scale) a fair bit which would have put it on more peoples lists. But with the 2.5 you just cannot see the sense of not going for the 190.

·
aka Simon
579 Posts
Gearbox

The 160 has a much longer set of gear ratios than the 190. In an ideal world, I'd have a 190 engine with the 160 gearbox, for smoother and more economical motorway cruising - the engine is easily torquey enough to cope with the longer legs.

·
Registered
115 Posts
we had the 190+ and i can say that it is a car not to be missed!!! im not sure about the 160 but the 190+ sure did want to go!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I drove a ZT160 (before buying a ZT-T190) and thought its performance to be very poor - it seemed to have no low end grunt at all, and revving it hard yielded very little go too. It was smooth though. However, ride and handling was impressive, so that settled it. Compared to my previous car (SEAT Toledo V5 150) it seemed very slow indeed.

I cannot see what the market for these cars is, but if it sells then why not?

·
True Brit
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Gearbox

NuttyNursesHusband said:
The 160 has a much longer set of gear ratios than the 190. In an ideal world, I'd have a 190 engine with the 160 gearbox, for smoother and more economical motorway cruising - the engine is easily torquey enough to cope with the longer legs.
Exactly what I think, I think the longer ratios would put the 0-60 down under 8 seconds without any doubt as 60 would be possible in 2nd without red lining.

G

·
ZT190 Save 2K buy a ZT160

Having owned a ZT160 for Three months and driven two ZTT190 ,
I have found the 160 to be quicker in straight acceleration it will do 65mph in second and just under the Ton in Third.
The ZT190 is quicker in top but seems like it needs a extra gear.
The added bonus with the 160 is it costs £2000.00 less.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Why then do people buy poverty spec entry level models,i.e.the Rover 25 1.1,because it meets their needs adequately and they have a limited budget.I personally would NEVER buy a new car no matter how much i like it.I will buy a used ZT in 2 years time and let the first owner pay for the savage first 2 years depreciation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts