MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd pass this on incase anyone else receives a similar email and is fooled into clicking the links.

Got an email today at the email address I use for sending and receiving paypal payments on EBAY.

It was an invoice for 2 creditcard purchases I had supposedly made at YESASIA.COM (which is apparantly a legitimate online retailer) totalling over 400 USD.

I can usually tell an email scam before even opening it. But this one got my attention because it had my FULL NAMEembedded at the top of invoice.

Now the ONLY website which can associate my email address with my Full Name is PAYPAL. This suggests that someone who I have made an ebay purchase from is a fraudster who sells on the Paypal email addresses along with the NAME of the account holder.

The email itself has links to view my "order", and hovering the mouse over the link shows that the links point to www.YesAsia-payment-service/uk/etc/***.ZIP

I didn't click but links I'm guess the zip file contains some kind of phishing hook.

As a precaution I went online to check all my creditcard/bank accounts but nothing seems to be amiss. Still, I've had several attempts at cloning my card recently which was picked up by the CC company so I'm particularly wary now.

And I thought I was safe with PayPal? This adds a new dimension to the phishing fraud.

Note: I can't 100% remember how Paypal on ebay works. Does the ebay buyer or seller get to see the email address at the other end of the transaction? I'm changing my paypal email either way.

·
Still not cured of MG addiction
7,110 Posts
Another new one I've seen recently is fake emails from couriers saying you have a parcel awaiting delivery. Not that hard to spot but a new tactic they're trying instead of the usual online banking *******s "verify your account".

·
Administrator
10,642 Posts
Hmmmm very worrying indeed.

Yes, sellers will see your email addy and name!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts