MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I use to have a good SLR with some lenses - motor drive & other goodies.

Like a fool I traded it for a rubbish APS system camera a few years ago - which failed miserably.

Since then I've had a couple of digital cameras, the latest one a goofd Canon **4.3 mega pixels. However, it cannot take stunning action shots. Just look at Kelvin's work (Top Left).

I too would like to take these again, but don't want to go back to film. Can anyone recommend a Digital camera with SLR type long lenses you can buy at an affordable price?

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
While we are on the subject of photography-
kelvin whats the score with being able to take photos in front of the fences at brands,do you need a special pass or something?
kev

·
MG ZT-T 190
6,716 Posts
Yes special passes needed, and they are not freely available,
I have applied for a BTCC pass, having been supported by 2 BTCC drivers and a seperate BTCC team owner from last season,
a magazine editor + press clippings and a long list of web sites!
I also did a full season last year, renewal of privelage not automatic it would seem!!
I am still waiting to have my application confirmed for 2002!
Not easy!! :-(

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
thanks kelvin
where do you think the best place for some racing incidents will be at brands? padock hill bend is the fans favourite but i might try out dingle dell..

·
Registered
113 Posts
As with any technology spend as much as you can afford one point though make sure that the C.C.D. is a minimum of two mega pixels. Also look for optical zoom (digital zoom deters from the quality)
I have a two year old Fuji MX 2900 not cheap but I am so impressed I am thinking of selling my SLR

·
Registered
113 Posts
You say you are not interested in zoom, well the standard digital camera has an equivalent focal length of either 28 or 32mm so this would in effect be wide angle in a 35mm camera (50mm being the standard focal length as you probably know)
Also a lot depends on the software and printer you are using for your pics
I find a mix of Adobe Photoshop and MGI Photosuite does all I need using a Hewlett Packard photosmart1000 printer
Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I've just got me a Nikon CoolPix 885. Pretty good, but I've not used it much yet. You an get teleconverters 2x and 3x for these to get longer effective focal lengths.

Having said all that, I still prefer my Nikon F70. There's something about using film ...

I guess it's more about planning decent shots on film rather than just mindlessly snapping and deleting the rubbish as one tends to do with a digital. Each has their merits and pitfalls. I suppose it all depends on what results you're after, and how skilled you are with the equipment. It's a steep learning curve!

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
I always think of film as more 'professional'. Digital seems to be snap a nd crop. Although I have a small 'compact' digital I still like to get the SLR and bag of lenses out from time to time.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well I think you will find that the pros are going digital now as surely its all about the end result
Also in a "profesional" studio you will find that they use a huge amount of film to get the one perfect shot. Then its recreated in the darkroom (i used to do profesional hand printing for a living)
I use my Digital camera with a full studio lighting to do my portraiture and normally get the shot i want. the only thing is that with just a three times digital zoom (effectvely 150mm) its not good enough for motorsport

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just bought a Canon Powershot S40 - great for stills of ZED cars - but when they're moving at a fair lick - forget it. Plus the ZOOM's not very good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts