MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
bigfella-network.co.uk
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They had 5, but now they have added 50 nicker onto the price!

·
bigfella-network.co.uk
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think you could compare the 2, it's like chips and potato wedges.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Torsen all the way! Money saved buys you a flywheel....simples

·
Registered
335 Posts
Torsen all the way! Money saved buys you a flywheel....simples
so i take it you prefer the diff on ebay over the quaiffe, how much difference is there really between the 2 for standard daily use and then ocasional track use???

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
so i take it you prefer the diff on ebay over the quaiffe, how much difference is there really between the 2 for standard daily use and then ocasional track use???
You wont notice much difference really. But the quaife will be smoother because it uses gears rather than clutch plates. You will feel the type B lock where as the quaiffe automatically biases the torque away from the spinning wheel across the axle, the torsen locks much more harshly with a set pre-load of wheel slip across the axle.
But the quaife does cost £300-400 more...:)

I would like to try the quaife but wouldnt want to pay the price for a new one :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
having been in a tuned derv with a torsen, the way it kicks in is a lot harsher than a quaife, when given a ride i really felt it when the wheel started to spin up.

So far i have yet to feel the quaife actually work, just point the steering wheel, apply some throttle and round you go :)

dave if\when my car starts to behave properly you are welcome to have a go with the car if you wanted, seeing as i am not a million miles from you ;)

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
having been in a tuned derv with a torsen, the way it kicks in is a lot harsher than a quaife, when given a ride i really felt it when the wheel started to spin up.

So far i have yet to feel the quaife actually work, just point the steering wheel, apply some throttle and round you go :)

dave if\when my car starts to behave properly you are welcome to have a go with the car if you wanted, seeing as i am not a million miles from you ;)
Ok mate that sounds good. You will prob convert me to a quaife though thats the only problem...lol.... Yeah im only in Longwell green so not far from you

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
You wont notice much difference really. But the quaife will be smoother because it uses gears rather than clutch plates. You will feel the type B lock where as the quaiffe automatically biases the torque away from the spinning wheel across the axle, the torsen locks much more harshly with a set pre-load of wheel slip across the axle.
But the quaife does cost £300-400 more...:)

I would like to try the quaife but wouldnt want to pay the price for a new one :)
Both the quaife (ATB) and the Rover type A and B diffs are Torsen, they all use gears, none use clutches unless you spend mega bucks on the quaife LSD and not the ATB most go for. Only differences is build quality, reliability and biasing ratio, the type A has a higher ratio than the type B which is why the type b lasts longer I guess, the Quaife is higher than both.

Type B does not lock up and all torsen diffs require the slipping wheel to still have contact with the ground or they have no torque to transfer, if the inside wheel lifts the power to the other wheel is minimal as there is no thrust load on the gears in the diff.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
So on ice does it act like the wheel is airbourne or is the diff effective if there is minimal grip?
How much of a kick when the torsen kicks in? Presumably if you are expecting it it's fine but I'd be worried about someone else driving my car.

Didn't see how many they had, it's oh so tempting now.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
So on ice does it act like the wheel is airbourne or is the diff effective if there is minimal grip?
How much of a kick when the torsen kicks in? Presumably if you are expecting it it's fine but I'd be worried about someone else driving my car.

Didn't see how many they had, it's oh so tempting now.
There is no kick when the torque sensing kicks in its gear based and permenantly acting, the wheels thats spinning keeps the load on the other shaft and the greater the difference in speed the more this happens until the spinning wheel looses gip compleatly, then it just becomes a flywheel so you get minimul power as the torque it has is only based on its weight as a flywheel. Thats proabbly the kick people are feeling, like when a standard diff lets go and your steering wheel sudenly goes soft as you loose drive.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Both the quaife (ATB) and the Rover type A and B diffs are Torsen, they all use gears, none use clutches unless you spend mega bucks on the quaife LSD and not the ATB most go for. Only differences is build quality, reliability and biasing ratio, the type A has a higher ratio than the type B which is why the type b lasts longer I guess, the Quaife is higher than both.

Type B does not lock up and all torsen diffs require the slipping wheel to still have contact with the ground or they have no torque to transfer, if the inside wheel lifts the power to the other wheel is minimal as there is no thrust load on the gears in the diff.
Ahh, got confused then the Type b. It has a different gear setup to the type A. The A has helicoil gears and the type be has parellel gears. Dont know why I thought the b had clutches....lol

When I said lock I ment grips....(bad wording) Thats what you feel with the Rover diffs from what I have exsperianced anyway.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Ahh, got confused then the Type b. It has a different gear setup to the type A. The A has helicoil gears and the type be has parellel gears. Dont know why I thought the b had clutches....lol

When I said lock I ment grips....(bad wording) Thats what you feel with the Rover diffs from what I have exsperianced anyway.
Yeah type and and B are differently geared, both have helexial gears on the shafts as this is what makes them function the thrust loads on the helexial gears but the type A has straight cut gears running adjacent to the shafts the type B has more helexial gears running in parrallel.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Plate diff is same cost as a Quaife ATB, its the ultimate way to go but not suitable for a non competition application due to level of servicing it requires.

Torsen units are much more prone to wear (check our scrap bin) and parts are not available. On a Quaife unit that comes with a lifetime warranty and a Gripper plate type diff, every component is available as a spare part, always the sign of a well engineered product.

Quaife applies torque evenly to both wheels where as Torsen is "off set" as well as having a lower "locking effect" compared to a Quaife and slower reaction. However the Quaife has a more prgressive feel due to the size and the way the friction surfaces work and this is why the Quaife unit lasts in addition to the material its made from.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts