MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Its a V8 user thing...
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More for new people not in the Two-Sixties but have the V8.

From ownership of our cars there are some things to keep an eye on as the cars get older as part of your maintenance checks and in addition to the normal service checks:-

Rear springs need checking on a regular basis some have snapped.

Radiator needs regular checks on the drivers side tank return. Seams are popping.

On mk2's upgrade the resistor to the fan to help reduce the likely hood of a short life (Jules Bass on 07831 457011 is selling the upgrade)

Don't over tighten your spark plugs, quite low on torque setting.

Don't fill your screen wash bottle to the top during winter months, try and judge it to about half way on the bottle.

Regularly check your top heater hose going into the bulkhead, above the throttle body. Check by squeezing the elbow for any fractures.

Keep your heater valve moving by adjusting the temperature on a regular basis. The valve is weak.

Do check to see if you have an orange fuel clip if you are a new owner, you will break down if it is not fitted. Or a self tapper into the lid edge.

Keep an eye on the bonnet pull cable, does come out of the junction box

It's recommended to change the diff oil, if you are not sure it has been done then its something to consider.

Check your gearbox insulation, some have come loose.

And a reminder, don't disconnect your satnav until the red light has gone out.

I have made a point of not writing the remedial work needed as this is elsewhere on this site and the Two-Sixties and would make this post too long. :)

Hope this is useful, and don't panic is not a long list and is from owning a future classic car. ;)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Thanks for that, really usefull information.

I have not experianced any of these problems myself (yet) but its good to know what to keep an eye on.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Good advice, Tim, as usual. Nothing more than regular checks for an enthusiast, but so handy to have a list to refer to.

We are becoming more knowledgeable about the things that can go wrong as owners flag them up and trends start to appear.

As a result, we have had an improved heater hose manufactured, plus some other items such as stickers, grille/rear badges featuring the 260s Mustang, bespoke carpet mats, lapel pins and sew-on badges. Even an improved radiator is in the pipeline (no pun intended).

All these are available from [email protected] and as a member of "The Two-Sixties" you qualify for a reduced price on most items and free advice on whatever issue you would like to talk to the experts about.

Phil

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
What's the washer bottle one about? Not seen that mentioned anywhere.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If the water bottle is full and we get the inevitably cold snap frozen water will burst it.

Apparently it's a complete mare to get to for replacement.

That said most of the time mine complains about no washer fluid so I guess I'm not a risk :)

·
Its a V8 user thing...
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry Chris did not see your post, Manxmann is right. I've seen a bottle suffer this, at the base of the neck was a slight split.

·
Registered
343 Posts
More for new people not in the Two-Sixties but have the V8.
Radiator needs regular checks on the drivers side tank return. Seams are popping. "Popping!!!" I went through 4 radiators.. one was more like an explosive rupture :doh

Regularly check your top heater hose going into the bulkhead, above the throttle body. Check by squeezing the elbow for any fractures. Yep, had that - used the B&Q elbow joint to fix.

Do check to see if you have an orange fuel clip if you are a new owner, you will break down if it is not fitted. Or a self tapper into the lid edge. This went just after MG/Rover went bang. Was told by the dealer that it would 3 months before they could get the part. But after some fiendish work by myself involving an email to the new director of X-Part a whole fuel tank was delivered to the dealer 2 days later - long story..{

It's recommended to change the diff oil, if you are not sure it has been done then its something to consider. Yep did this, can't remember why though. Reminder?

Check your gearbox insulation, some have come loose. "Come loose!!" It dangled for a bit then fell off heh he
Must say that all these happened to my first 260. This one has been good so far (instantly regrets typing that...)

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
Hi Tim

Being looking on your site and I notice you have a Private section where remanufactured items are advertised.

It's not easily apparent how you get in to this area.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts