MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My heater blower packed up today. The AC panel is lit and all the controls are working. I can hear the various ducts opening and shutting behind the dash when I press the control buttons, just no fan and no air.

Weird thing is, the fan started working again a few minutes later but after I restarted the engine it packed up again! What could cause an intermittent problem like this?

P.S My phone charger which was plugged in the lighter socket died at the same time as the fan. Coincidence? But the lighter itself is still working. Could a short in the charger have tripped some circuit related to the fan? Sorry, I'm not very electrical. Any tips would be appreciated.

·
Registered
376 Posts
the most common problem for fans not working is the resistor behind the glove box.

Saying that its normally only one of the speeds that stop working. Worth a check tho.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the most common problem for fans not working is the resistor behind the glove box.

Saying that its normally only one of the speeds that stop working. Worth a check tho.
Thanks. Was going to check the resistor but now the fan's working again! I don't get it. Could a faulty resistor cause intermittent problems?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Ive just had the same problem intermittent working of the fan so got the new resistors ready only to find they had not gone worked out to be the fan motor so shopped around for a replacement local scrap dealers wanted £30-£40 so got one off fleabay for £6.99 inclucing postage bargain

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
could be a dodgy motor, if its stopping in the wrong place it might not be able to start, common on the 3 series, you move the fan and it starts again, a new motor is a lot of money from mg rover(about £200 i think if i rememebr right), easiest way is to take the plug off it and see if you are getting a feed and an earth there, if you do then its the motor, if not then start picking out the fuses, if its the same as the zr(not seen the zs do it so dunno) the fan and cigarette lighter where on the same mega fuse in the engine bay, large square pink satalite fuse(took a while to work out what had blown) howvere if the cigar lighter worker is working i doubt it is that

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive just had the same problem intermittent working of the fan so got the new resistors ready only to find they had not gone worked out to be the fan motor so shopped around for a replacement local scrap dealers wanted £30-£40 so got one off fleabay for £6.99 inclucing postage bargain
How did you test the old fan?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
could be a dodgy motor, if its stopping in the wrong place it might not be able to start, common on the 3 series, you move the fan and it starts again, a new motor is a lot of money from mg rover(about £200 i think if i rememebr right), easiest way is to take the plug off it and see if you are getting a feed and an earth there, if you do then its the motor, if not then start picking out the fuses, if its the same as the zr(not seen the zs do it so dunno) the fan and cigarette lighter where on the same mega fuse in the engine bay, large square pink satalite fuse(took a while to work out what had blown) howvere if the cigar lighter worker is working i doubt it is that
Seperate fan and lighter fuses on the ZS. Now I'm confused why the phone charger would blow at the same time as the fan. Gonna have another look at it today to see if all the speed settings are working. I hope it's just the resistor. Not that it's exactly a cheap part. Cheapest i could find is 20 quid from ebay!! They must cost pennies to manufacture.

·
Registered
779 Posts
my son took the motor out and tested for a feed we had power at the end off cable the resistor pack was ok
to repair the resistor pack you will need 3 H1R resistors from Maplins at a cost of 58 pence each
some where on the forum is a "how to fix" showing you how to repair them
http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?t=29075

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my son took the motor out and tested for a feed we had power at the end off cable the resistor pack was ok
to repair the resistor pack you will need 3 H1R resistors from Maplins at a cost of 58 pence each
some where on the forum is a "how to fix" showing you how to repair them
http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?t=29075
Cheers for the link. Looks pretty comprehensive. I'm holding off changing anything for now and wait for it to happen again.

I actually suspect a problem with the AC control panel now. Yesterday it got stuck on manual. Everytime I tried setting the climate control to Auto it would switch back to Manual again. In the end I turned the ignition off and restarted the car. That seemed to reset it. This has never happened before so I wonder if it's a faulty CPU inside the unit that's the problem. Wonder if anyone else has experienced something similar.

Edit: this is on a MK2 btw. Not sure if the MK1s have the same climate control.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK. Can anyone explain this odd behaviour?

I turn on the heater and the blower comes on and warms up the cabin. Everything works fine (all fan speeds working etc) for a few minutes and then it cuts out completely. The panel is lit and the duct motors etc are all working, just no blower, even on manual settings.

I turn the heater off and wait for it to cool down before turning it back on at which time the blower kicks in again. It works fine for a few minutes and cuts out again. Repeat procedure with same effect, ad nauseum.

Odd ticking noise: When the blower cuts out and I switch the engine off (leaving the ignition light on) there's a rapid two-tone ticking noise coming from the vicinity of the cabin fuse box.

I tried the procedure for getting a fault code on the AC panel but there doesn't seem to be a problem. It displays a "1" then a "b" and the AC comes on which I presume is the normal self check?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts