MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Discuss...

I don't want a massive rumble or chavvy sound, but I would love that little extra uummph!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine is nice and meaty but not rude boy... not 20 anymore lol, its a nice rumble but then it also depends on your back box because if you have some 4 inch monster then its gonna roar. I can take a vid of mine if you like a bit later and you can hear what its like.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a powerflow middle and back box (tip looks like the std oval they come with)

It is soooooooo quiet though, doesnt sound like a V6 180

·
Registered
76 Posts
the de-cat will change that, im drounded out by a mr2 with a 4" but then who aint lol.. when it stops bloody raining i will do a vid.
you will deff feel some more power but I could not say how much gain it would be.

·
won hay-tee
607 Posts
My front flexi-cat section needs replaced soon so i`m planning on fitting one just because of this, the rest of the system back on my car is a stainless system anyway :)

One on ebay at the moment, but i suspect its going to shoot up in price in 6 hours time when it finishes ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
ptp do them for just £130, janspeed as well... and I think there is one on here for sale.. dont forget you will need a mil elimator kit too and jay zs+ does those for a lot less than ebay and ptp.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
It won't create too much noise. I fitted mine to o.e. system untill the rear box went. Then had a handcrafted stainless system mated to it with a nice tone rear silencer. Sounded nice but a lot nicer since my recent re map tbh.

·
Registered
151 Posts
be interested to hear what it sounds like if the video gets on here,i'm after one 2 in the near future but what with mot and tax all at once its on the burner at the mo!.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
It won't create too much noise. I fitted mine to o.e. system untill the rear box went. Then had a handcrafted stainless system mated to it with a nice tone rear silencer. Sounded nice but a lot nicer since my recent re map tbh.
How is it different? Did Reidy alter the vis activation? Does/did it drone/resonate at 2-3K?

Back on topic with my old car and twin exits there was far more noise than power generated so I had it calmed down a lot by inserting thinnner pipes into the backboxes. This seemed to negate the effect to freeing up the gasflow from the decat. Sounded immense above 3K and below 2K but in the middle made my ears bleed. If your car is too quiet then go for it.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Personally I don't think they are worth it.

Yes they are cheap, but the agro you have to go through at each MOT isn't worth it IMO.

For the gains in noise/performance you get over a proper legal sports-cat I really wouldn't bother.

If you have an OE system, fitting a sports-cat/de-cat will make it slightly louder and free-er flowing, which is all a good thing IMO, but the best thing for me was that it made the car pop and fart on the overrun - and that was just the best noise ever on my ZED cool2 :MG:

If you can't find a Janspeed sports-cat anywhere then get a zorst place to make you one up that retains the lambda sensors and keeps the car running as it should.

You will not look back!

J:)

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
.........Yes they are cheap, but the agro you have to go through at each MOT isn't worth it IMO..........
On the K series and KV6 there is a pre cat (or cats on the V6) which is sufficiant for the MOT.

If you have a properly designed, fitted and maintained exhuast system which isn't much louder than standard at tickover you should have no problems with your MOT.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Personally I don't think they are worth it.

Yes they are cheap, but the agro you have to go through at each MOT isn't worth it IMO.

For the gains in noise/performance you get over a proper legal sports-cat I really wouldn't bother.

If you have an OE system, fitting a sports-cat/de-cat will make it slightly louder and free-er flowing, which is all a good thing IMO, but the best thing for me was that it made the car pop and fart on the overrun - and that was just the best noise ever on my ZED cool2 :MG:

If you can't find a Janspeed sports-cat anywhere then get a zorst place to make you one up that retains the lambda sensors and keeps the car running as it should.

You will not look back!

I have a Powerflow system cat back, I'd like a de-cat or sports-cat purely for the fact it'd give a few extra BHP and help the engine breath alot better

Also as stated above, the Powerflow system I have it probably quieter than the standard system it came with in the first place!!

The de-cat route, money .vs performance = no brainer surely?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
On the K series and KV6 there is a pre cat (or cats on the V6) which is sufficiant for the MOT.
I'm not sure that's true. If an MOT tester sees that the main cat section is by-passed or removed they can fail the car regardless of its emissions. A local MOT station told me that when I was considering getting one.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I have a Powerflow system cat back, I'd like a de-cat or sports-cat purely for the fact it'd give a few extra BHP and help the engine breath alot better

The de-cat route, money .vs performance = no brainer surely?
Yes it does help the engine breathe better and spin a bit more freely but I don't think you would see any noticeable jumps in BHP output. Maybe 2 or 3bhp on a good day.

I always felt that the more breathing mods I did to my Zed that rather than free up loads and loads of extra BHP it seemed to allow the car to utilise and deliver its BHP that bit better. The engine spun more freely and pulled stronger for larger parts of the rev range rather than just being loads faster from say 0-60. The whole thing just became more useable.

Best breathing mods were sport-cat, induction kit and manifolds without a doubt. Full Piper zorst just looked better and sounded nice.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
0-60 doesn't bother me
Mid-range driving DOES! If it's going to help then great!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
go for it you won't regret it i bought the janspeed for mine and sounds great and just went though its mot as they have the pre cat. it,s like your engine is on vicks just seems to breath that bit better.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bet your camera smells nice now lol!
Not much of a difference in sound but sounds nice all the same, just need to get it now then sort out the rusty bolts on the manifold and get some gaskets etc

·
Gone for a blast
567 Posts
i was one of the first on here back in the day to have a de cat fitted with a piper 4 ", i'tll anoy the hell outa ya on the m-way journeys but around town when it pops an farts lol it's well worth it. it's probaly the best bang per buck you can give the zs aswell imo:rockon:go for it i say

1 - 20 of 35 Posts