MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

Does your ZED SSS front suspension creak?

• NO

Votes: 31 40.3%
  • NO - don't know what you are talking about!

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • YES

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • YES - visited my dealer and noise still present!

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • YES - visited my dealer and the noise is cured!

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • YES - Kenwood turned up!

Votes: 6 7.8%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe there maybe some ZS's owners whose cars have a strange noise eminating from the front suspension area. Would the owners like to vote on whether they experience a "Creak" or whether this is just a load of balony?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Lots of strange noises.

1. On full left lock whilst travellling slow get strange rattle from under the engine somewhere.

2. Steering wheel creeks.

3. Rear suspension fairly 'knocky' over bumps.

4. Twice now have heard an odd noise from o/s front that sounds like a spring 'boinging'. Not sure if thats a proper word but best description I can offer.

5. Strange noise from my jaw area. Think thats probably just my teeth rattling loose over the bumpy roads in this neck of the woods.

As Kelvin has reported earlier tho' just turn up the stereo. Even with these slightly annoying traits it still doesn't spoil the enjoyment of the car. Will get them all checked at first oil change.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Only noise that is annoying is a squeak from driver's seat, can not say I have noticed any other noise that should not be there.
Will pay paticular attention but I do tend to have Jimi Hendrix blasting out all the time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
OK here is the deal, many ZS's experience a creaking noise when we have dry weather for a few days. This appears to be caused by the OSF suspension arm rubbing on the chassis. its often difficult to tell where the sound is coming from when sat in the car and initially it might appear to come from under the driver seat. However, if you get someone to drive your ZS over one of those plastic speed control strips and stand outside the sound clearly comes from the suspension arm.

I had this problem and with the help of Dr Dave (the other site!) managed to get my Dealer (Priests of Chesham) to take a look and presumably with the help of a large hammer adjust! I now have a silent ZS. MG-Rover have been made aware of the issue and presumably will be issuing a bulletin to dealers.

Dr Dave has supplied a picture of the offending area which I am sure he won't mind me placing here:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Haven't heard anything, I suspect that MG-R will have released a bulletin to dealers as they have with issues such as the onetouch window and SRS faults. I would think a recall is unlikely as it does not appear to affect all cars and is not a "major" problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have not had any suspension noises but do have a squeak from the drivers seat, I think its from the back rest near the bottom, when I have the stereo on you can't hear it.
I had a lot of noise from the passenger front seat but this was traced to a bolt that connects the seat to the runner, the bolt was lying under the seat and had come out. It was marked with white paint to say it had been tightened at the factory, but must have slipped through?

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
I appear to have a missing green arrow, i looked everywhere but theres no green arrow under my wheel arch. is this serious :p

·
Registered
263 Posts
Occasional squeaking noise from the passenger seat.

Often accompanied by a stiff prodding in the arm from the Mrs when I'm letting my ZS180 have it's head.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Whilst driving, I often get an intermittent groaning in my left ear, Seems to disappear when I drive by myself, oddly enough...

Possibly for the same reason as the previous post...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Big Phil great response - I'll set MAX on you. She who shouldn't leave a kitchen empty wouldn't agree! :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
...although on reflection, having read MAX's profile in the members section, I'll behave from now on, I promise. If there's one thing that puts the fear of god up anyone who works in the health business (doctors, radigraphers, etc. ANYBODY) it's a nurse. Of any description.

I'm a good boy, I am...

PS Did I mention that my better half is also a nurse/midwife too..?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Keep smiling Phil u know your place I don't think it's the nurse u need to fear but the reception staff:rockon:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I'm new and I think it's just answered my question.. Been driving me mad, I thought it only happened when the missus was in the car, but then I realised that no, that was simply becasue that's the only time I have the stereo turned down/off and so the only time I could hear it, but for a while I was convinced the noise was coming from the passenger seat or perhaps even the wife herself.

I tried wd 40 but she warned me that if I tried it again she'd leave me, luckily shortly after that when I drove on my own without the missus but with the stereo *off* and the noise reoccurred - Imagine the relief I felt when i realised it was the Zed and not the missus making the noise. This thread may have saved my marriage. Thanks X-Power forum! :lol:

Anyway, once all my other warranty issues have been ticked off, I'll mention the creak and it's probably cause to my long suffereing dealer - who always act surprised or pretend they have never seen a fault on a ZS before and I must be imagining it when I say, "Should this have fallen off/be leaking/have discoloured already?" but then when I go to pick it up say contradictory things like, "Yes, see it all the time/a common fault/I wish Longbridge would sort out their quality control.."

·
Registered
966 Posts
I had this problem and the dealer cured it. I believe it is the lower suspension bushes. It took 3 hours to cure including an oil and filter change. It hasn't reoccurred since.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I can't really help m8's but my car made the same strange noise from under the left hand side wheel-arch...took it to the dealer and now is cured...miracles exists....and for those with noises in their seats....mine does the same and dealer said I'll have to leave the car for 2-3 days to reupholstery it as there's some spring loose....

Alex, :beerchug

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
i heard a knocking (one ) noise from my zs as i was going round a left corner hasnt happened since and only heard it once should i get it checked out??

1 - 20 of 32 Posts