MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading the Mail on Sunday there was a piece on the new Lotus 111S. As we know this car uses a Rover 1.8K Series 16 Valve unit. The quoted figure 0-60 is 5.1 secs. Does anyone know if this is a record other than the adapation of a motor cycle engine?

Jim

G

·
No - no record. Not bad though! :D

Caterham R500 has that - but guess what - it's the K-series again.

See Caterham Cars

In a nutshell: 0-60 secs.

Superlight R300 4.7
Superlight R400 3.9
Superlight R500 3.4

G

·
It gets better, the R500 was the quickest until that twin bike engined thingy got the record with your mate Tiff at the wheel.

Designed by an ex-Policeman and built in Hull. Forgotten it's name- Eagle maybe?

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Delete bike engines

So there we have it. The Rover engine is the fastest as we aren't counting bike engines but purpose car engines.

Jim

G

·
Not bad for an engine that needs replacing. :D Just booked a test drive in a Caterham - Thursday at Dursley.

LimpMisfit

Thanks, just couldn't remember!

·
Registered
718 Posts
0-60!

If any of you went to the sports car show you'll probably have noticed a Trophy yellow ZR with a 190 badge on the back (BHP not PS) the driver who can normally be found thrashing his ZR at Curborough reckons a ub 5 second 0-60's are the norm!!!!:)

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
XPower Admin! said:
Not bad for an engine that needs replacing. :D Just booked a test drive in a Caterham - Thursday at Dursley.

LimpMisfit

Thanks, just couldn't remember!
Make sure you pin your Wig on, I drove a superlight around Bedford Autodrome last year, and it is an awesome track tool, loads of rear end fun, but so easy to use.

Hope you enjoy it

Mike

·
Which one shall I drive today?
6,507 Posts
Mike

what did you think of the Bedford Autodrome?

I live near there and was thinking about a track day myself

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Fantastic,

Plenty of different tracks to play on, I went on a corporate day with Siemens and we drove everything from Westfield, Elises, Audi TT and single seaters.

They've even go an off road track for the brave.

Recommend it to anybody.

Mike:)

G

·
I know they have a great reputation at Bedford.

Got, my test drive in a Superlight tomorrow, if I like it then the ZT385 is dead, been thinking about the R300, but the R400 has more toys such as Stack instruments & 3.9 secs.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Not quite as practical, depends what your thinking of doing with it.

If its mainly for track work you won't do much better.

G

·
Mike

Play thing (4 wheels instead of 2). Just drove one with 125 bhp, my it was fast. The dealership in Dursley, just gave me the keys and told me top get on with it.

Will add a picture v.soon. :D

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
So could this mean that you are not getting a 385 afterall Jerry? :D

G

·
I'm having difficulty waiting a minimum of 6 months more, without having some fun. May still go for it, no decision as yet or try to afford both.

The car just has so much feeling. Initially, was a little slow, as it follows all the cambers and ruts, but once you get the feel of it, it's fantastic. The performance is electrifying, although I didn't take corners like I would dare, needs a nice airfield to get the feel of it. The steering is so poitive like a go-kart, and with a very small flick of the wheel and it changes direction. I would imagine a 200bhp version will be so easy to spin!

The cockpit is lovely and snug, but it maybe advanatgeous to wear racing shoes, as there's very little room near the pedals.

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
I remember speaking to someone (a long time ago) about his westie that had nearly 250bhp (ford engine I think)...

He mentioned how it was uncontrollable in the wet... :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts