MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a problem with cooling water. When I was on a winter holiday low water icon comes on when I first started at the morning. After a mile it disepear. I tought it was due to low temperature and volume of the water was smaller. But today I started my car nothing on a dash, but after a 200meters this icon comes on. Then I turn my engine of and after new start icon was off. I cheched if there is any water between V but nothing. What should I check? my mate said that he smells a cooling water oddour. Thanks for help.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
When the light comes on do you check the water level, it may be on because your water level is low.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Or just above low, if you park your car at an angle (drivers side down, I think - the coolant sensor is on one side of the coolant reservoir).

Either way, top up the coolant. And you may have a small leak from the thermostat (assuming a 180) that is evaporating away rather than leaving a puddle. Is there any sign of an orange stain in the V?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
last year it was the same. I added coolant water in it, but it was at the end of winter so no icon on. Nothing between V, its dry. It is possible that it evaporates as much during the year? No leak anywhere or I am not able to locate it.

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
last year it was the same. I added coolant water in it, but it was at the end of winter so no icon on. Nothing between V, its dry. It is possible that it evaporates as much during the year? No leak anywhere or I am not able to locate it.
Loosing 1mm or 2mm in the tank each year is normal. You are more likely to see the icon in the winter because the coolant contracts a little when it is cold. If you loose much more that that then it is time to start looking for leaks.

Not sure where it goes, maybe lost from the water pump bearing?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
everything around water pump seems clean , no signs of water, I let it be and these days light is of without refueling the cooling water. (very strange to me). Need a proper inspection.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts