MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been having a coolat problem for the last two weeks, two garages have checked various things, ie pressure testing, checking for leaks, even replaced the header tank cap as one garage said the seal had broke. have replaced with new coolant also, but after driving for a while the light will come on, if u then undo the cap it all backwashes into the tank and all is fine again ?? any ideas welcome

james

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
If I read it right, you aren't losing any coolant?.

It could be something random like a thermostat stuck in the closed position, or possibly the water pump not circulating the fluid.

Does it overheat, or just the coolant light coming on.

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
Try topping up a bit. The coolant level sensor in the mk2 is a bit sensitive.

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Also check for leaks from the inlet manifold gasket, or it could be a faulty coolant level sensor?

Hope you get it sorted soon mate.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the replies so far, have tried toppin the coolant above max but didnt seem too work, when the coolant was changed the garage put some
leak sealant stuff in, dont think its the sensor coz the coolant actually goes down until u undo the cap and it all backwashes and is fine again

·
Flying the Flag
212 Posts
I had the same symptoms in my old Mk1 sounds exactly like an air lock. Like has been said, try the heater on full hot and see if it gets as hot as you think it should. If not then find the bleed screw on the rad hose (above the general gearbox area, easy to see) and give it a bleed. That should fix it if thats the issue.

Alex

1 - 12 of 12 Posts