MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as title, my coolant level keeps changing, as im driving it will be empty then full and does it a few times, was wondering what this could be??

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Not an air lock is it??

Where is the level when its cold??

When its up to temperature if the heater is on hot, does it blow out hot air??

Thermostat stuck, or iffy??

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Do you have to keep topping up the coolant, or does it stay constant.

Pressure cap on the coolant tank OK, wonder if it could be an air lock in the system.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nar not had too fill it up, the tank will be empty and if i unscrew cap it fills bk up

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Sounds more like an airlock to me, trouble is I dont know much about the V6, need one of the resident experts to give their ideas really.

Cant be bad if the coolant is not going down, might be worth trying another coolant filler cap, if you can beg one off someone near you. Save spending anything if that doesnt do anything to help.

:wave:

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
nar not had too fill it up, the tank will be empty and if i unscrew cap it fills bk up
Does it fill back up through the exit pipe, would suggest that the input pipe to the tank is blocked - maybe the ball valve thing that should rattle when you squese the pipes is stuck? (Not sure I know what I am talking about there, I've never looked at it properly.)

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
yea fills back up through the exit pipe, where is the ball value locate do u know?
Ahh, it's called a jiggle valve - couldn't remember that yesterday.

Here is a post from MGJohn about it: http://themgclub.org/showpost.php?p=4872752&postcount=53

If you squeeze the coolant pipes going to the heater then you should hear this rattle, if you can't then there is a good chance it is the problem. At least that is the case on a 1.8 and I think the V6 has a similar setup.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cool will try that cheers umm ok the post on the other forum dont say where u locate it, n e ideas

1 - 13 of 13 Posts