MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a little puzzled by MG Rovers association with atomic kitten,now i have no axe to grind over their music and they are successful and cater to their audiance but its what they represent that perplexes me. Middle of the road and safe doesn't quite mix with outrageous fun /anti pc image.
MG as a brand was about the only thing that saved rover and most companies are very carefull about who they associate with their brands.When i bought my ZS 180 i was buying into this anti establishment/us against the world image(as well as getting a unique product)so i cant help feeling MG have "sold out" by teaming up with atomic kitten.
Back in the 70's (i know i'm dreaming again) there was a MG advert with the slogan "your mother wouldn't like it ".
The problem with atomic kitten is ............................
"your mother would like it"

·
Registered
314 Posts
As MGR have found out,you cant be outrageous unless you are "PC" at the same time,even if the Sex Pistols were still around i doubt wether MGR would like any connection with them!.

·
MG ZT-T 190
6,716 Posts
There are other new sponsors in the 2002 motor sort package, why have the merits (?) of these other sponsors not been discussed?

With Ramada Jarvis a sponsor, can I get discount on a room when go racing?

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kelvin
Ramada Jarvis have a nice hotel at maidstone £129 p/p 3 nights over the brands weekend.
as for other sponsors ........
hot wheels ...hot
kitten ...... not :D

·
MG ZT-T 190
6,716 Posts
I was thinking more of £25 pp per night inc breakfast! :)
Homely B&B already booked, not far from the circuit
Last season discounts were avalable when booking with certain hotels thru the AA service.

At the moment it looks as the AA sponsorhip has ended, all reference to AA has been remove from the official Toca website.

Kelvin

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I can certainly see the point that Kev makes regarding the anti-establishment thing. However, the profile of MG has to be raised amongst the younger generation and what better than a chart topping girl band to do it. And as this means another pair of ZS's blemming around the tracks this year, I'm all for it.
Anyway, there is a tenous link with the past for old 'un's like me..They are produced and managed by Andy Mclusky, Ex 80's electro rockers OMD.

G

·
I agree that for MG to be associated with a youthful group is OK. :D

However, I cannot make the judgement Kev has made regarding their PC attributes - coz I cannot place one of their songs. :( You may laugh but perfectly true - they do look a little sickly sweet though.

What would be your alternative sponsorship be, Kev? Any publicity is good publicity and these last months MGR has been on a high! Overall, I think the MG sponsorship package to be well placed - Hot Wheels (very appropriate). Ramada (Hotel deal to be annonced - I hope) & Atomic Kitten (who knows a night out). :D

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
<<- coz I cannot place one of their songs.

Crossover radio friendly fare, gently looped, and they have recently covered the Bangles '86 hit "Eternal flame". The other big hit was "Whole again". Dunno if they will be doing much live work this year, as Natasha has just announced she's pregnant.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
>Natasha has just announced she's pregnant.<
I wonder if theres a story in this,with regard to the back of her ZR
:D :D :D

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
>What would be your alternative sponsorship be, Kev? <
my fantasy sponsor would be Led Zep and the motorsport team called "black magic". i'd get jimmy page to do witchcraft at BTCC events as well as legendary after race parties with the mg girls and sharks :D
seriously though, Jay Kay fits the bill to me. a car nut who i think fits the image of a mg driver.
Another person who could do a good job is david beckham,i think it would be a wise move to give him a free ZT385 when it is launched.

G

·
Beckham

Beckham - Beckham - you're banned - that's a swear word in this house! Well, it's one against three actually - Max and the two kids think he is great! :D :D :D I reckon Kevin Neal is winding me up. :D

Jay Kay - a good choice however!

I'm a LUFC supporter of long standing!

·
Registered
72 Posts
lufc

I know this is not a football forum but can I just remind you of CARDIFF CITY !!!!!

sorry admin had to be said

I thought you would be a oxford fan spending so much time at bzn ;)

·
Which one shall I drive today?
6,507 Posts
Beckham!

Do we really want that big girls blouse and all his baggage associated with MG? I think not.

Remember he comes with Posh!!!

Football is trying to attract it's own sponsorship and is therefore in competition with MG when it comes to finding backers.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
For christ sake MG do not want to go within a mile of football or all things to do with the so called sport. Millwall rings a bell.

Jim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts