MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, new here.

I'm a member of South Staffs and North Birmingham MGOC. I organise an annual evening at Curborough sprint course, nr. Lichfield, Staffs., and this years will be on just under a fortnight on Tuesday, 21st this month,

Previously we've invited other clubs, ie Jowett OC, and Historic Rally Car register. For this year we decided to have fewer cars to allow more runs, less queueing, and so decided to have MG's only.

As we will get all the MGB's and Midgets we need I would like to invite about half a dozen MGR's - Z's, F's, or TF's, should you be interested. Plus Jerry, who I would like to extend an invitation to. We have one club member currently purchasing a ZR, but Longbridge won't deliver as promised, and he won.t have it for the 21st.

We use the top loop only of Curborough. Check out their website at www.curborough.co.uk

It's a fun, non-competitive evening, although a stop watch will be in operation, to allow you to compare the times of your runs. Cars run one at a time, two laps a go, as you would at a sprint. You won't achieve high speeds, 60+ mph at the most, but it is still very good fun, and you still get to learn a lot about how your car handles, at a much safer venue than a track day.

I want to get about 20-25 cars in total, which should allow 5-6 runs each. We start at 6.45pm with a quick walk of the track to show the 'line' around the course.
We finish at dusk, 9-9.30, then we shoot off to the canalside pub at Fradley junction.
Cost? Just £10 a head, and it's free to turn up and watch. (It's a nice part of the world.)
You run at your own risk, of course, and will need to sign a disclaimer. The venue is, in my opinion, a safe one , so come along and have some fun.

Just e-mail me, my address should be displayed. I guess it will have to be first come first served.

Cheers,
Heebeegeetee (aka Mike)

G

·
Mike

Just read the post properly - it's time for bed! But, yes I'm available looks a good idea - MGF Trophy - sensible option and not the ZT.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great Jerry, glad that you can come, look forward to seeing you.

How about a few others, come along and take a look at the venue, might make an ideal annual event for yourselves in the future. (Come and meet Jerry!)

Either way, you are all welcome to call in throughout the evening (we'll be there 'till 9.30), then we'll be off to the Swan at Fradley Junction.

Cheers,
heebee

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PS Shall be away 'till Tuesday. Anyone else who wants to come, you're very welcome, and I'll catch up on return.

PPS Sorry Jerry, forgot to thank you for sorting out whatever it was that stopped me from posting when I first registered.

Heebee

G

·
Mike,

Actually didn't do anything.

Been onto the Curborough site - can't see tonights event listed. Unless I here any more will have to pass on this one Mike. As to miss traffic will have to leave fairly early evening!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Jerry,

That's a shame - nothing to do with the weather I trust?;)

It won't be listed on the site as it is a 'private' function. Curborough is available for use by car clubs about twice a week, but this information is not in the 'public domain'.

never mind,

Heebee

G

·
Mike

Just got in - after an extended drive in the ZS with a friend who was gobsmacked at its abilities + stop by at Kernahans. Weather is an influence and the wife getting in from work at 1800 doesn't help.

Was looking forward to it. Would still come, but I its a little too late now!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Fun ;-)

Mike,

Firstly thanks for the invite, really enjoyed myself. Hopefully get a drink next time as well. :)

Thanks Matt

P.S Jerry you missed out needed some similar competition ;)

G

·
How many runs did you get in Matt? Would have made more effort if I had known you were going. Glad you enjoyed it. Get Mike to post all events on here and maybe we could get the team together again!

Was the F/TF's out classed? Would have brought the ZS!

Yep, I know I missed out. Just not enough hours in the day!

Have you checked out the Kernahan and Goodwood Trackday - both cheap. No - I don't get a kick back.

PS. How's the TF running in going? :D

G

·
This is Mikes response !

>>How’s his running in going? Let’s put it this way, he was the fastest one there!

Yes, take a bow Mark Walton, who drove superbly all evening, and ensured that the fastest car was an MG. It was a pleasure to see Mark getting so much enjoyment from his three week old car!

It was a shame we didn’t have a single Zed saloon – I don’t know, all this talk on this site about these fast cars, and when an opportunity arises to have a proper play, in a safe environment for a measly ten quid, there are no takers. Still, talks easier, I suppose.

Can’t say my driving standard could match Mark’s in any way. Rear wheel drive in the wet is definitely the most fun, but I just couldn’t dial out the hooligan in me.

I had one depressing moment. Someone let me have a go in his 12 year-old MX5, which has 96,000 miles under its belt, and boy! was it good. Taught, tight and responsive, it gave all the slidey opposite lock fun you could wish for. It would rev, it would stop, it would turn, it was great. And there is no way this country could create such a car.

But Mark definitely held the MG end up, and I’m sure he’s learnt a lot about how his car handles in the wet, in the best environment to do so. There are some pictures at:

http://communities.msn.co.uk/0501SSMGOC/curborough2002.msnw

Cheers,

Heebee<<

·
Registered
29 Posts
Fun

Cheers Mike,

Thanks for the complement. :cool:

Really enjoyed it, look forward to doing it again. Need some more willing takers in the MGF/TF area.

Thanks for posting the pics, look really good, shall go straight onto my pc at work ;-)

Just one thing, the names MATT! lol

Thanks again.

Matt

·
Registered
29 Posts
Fun

Jerry,

Sorry missed your post, feeling click happy.

I was the only F/TF Zed there :( Your ZS would have gone brillinantly round there.

Had four runs, getting better each time with exeption of the 3rd run. Called it a day after the last run because i felt it was the most i could of done without a full start. ;) Plus i was beggining to feel some pity for the car.

Had to leave early unfortuately because of UNI work etc etc......

Maybe we shoud look at costs for hiring it for other events??? Could well prove interesting, especially for approx £10 or thereabouts.

The car is going suberbly, however i have some real quality issues with trim now. Service manager looked quite worried, i am not someone he should try to blag!!! Seperate rant alltogether though

Cheers

Matt

G

·
Matt

I think that's an excellent idea.

Do you want to organise it? Or should I look at it.

July is a v.expensive month for some of us. What about late summer/autumn (Sept would be good - but without a clash of a BTCC event).

Jerry

·
Registered
29 Posts
Track Day

Jerry,

I will speak to Mike about how you go about hiring it and a rough price guide. Then we can put the feelers out and i will speak to the secretary at Curborough.

Agree completely about the summer months been very expensive, have got 2 weeks in Corfu in July too.

September sounds good, will start digging.

Matt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts