MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Had a look around but couldn't fine much on the clutch plates, only the hydraulics.
I'm getting some slip from (what I assume) the clutch plates; it goes into and out of gear fine but once in gear if I boot it the rev rise but the speed doesn't, even in 5th at 70mph.

I had a very quick look in the Haynes manual at work today but forgot to bring it back, so very quickly can the change be done with the engine in place or does it need to be out? I noticed in the Haynes manual the engine is out but I don't recall it saying it had to be out.
Other than the plates is there anything else that is recommended to do at the same time? Spring, bearings etc?
And lastly is there any that seem better than the rest?

Thanks for your time

Rusty

·
Wrote off but not Dead YET !!!
4,803 Posts
engine can be left in, just need to drop the gearbox, ideally you want to change all 3 pieces, and also that is very important, take the clutch lever shaft out and clean it up and get sand paper on it and clean all the rust off, and grease up, as these are know to seize up, so do this whilst the box is off

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply Typhoon, good to know the engine can stay in place.

Is there any recomended brands or parts?

Rusty

·
4,803 Posts
dont know of any reccomended parts, i bought genuine stuff for mine, only because it was going cheap lol, or else it would have been just what the local motor factors sell

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
My advise would be get oe!!!

I put a oe equivalant in mine (gates iirc) a couple of months ago and wish i spent the extra.
Never fitting a non gen clutch to my cars again.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Personally I wouldn't touch one that didn't have some sort of market standing like Borg & Beck. FAI or QH all the effort just to fit the unknown is risky.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The first eBay clutch I put up http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400162081...sid=p3984.m1423.l2649&clk_rvr_id=307078327390 says that it is made by Borg & Beck unless unavailable. So have contacted them to make sure it would be a Borg & Beck.

Right have another question now; I had another good look through the Haynes manual and although the engine can stay in, it says to remove the transmission, that seems like ALOT of work to do, can it be done another way? Any good guides around?

Thanks for all the help

Rusty

·
4,803 Posts
taking the gearbox out isn't a bad job to do, IIRC its only held onto the engine by 7 bolts, but TBH its pretty easy as there is a lot of work area once you take the battery off and air filter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts