MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been a lengthy discussion on Climate on the R75 Yahoo Forum (Interestingly I started the group 2 yrs ago - but no longer contribute because of the constant bombardment of e-mails).

Back to the topic, I've had now had numerous cars with AC and NEVER had a problem. I think this is down to NEVER switching it OFF. There are those that believe that leaving it off over the winter saves fuel. This maybe true, but the servicing costs could be horrendous when you eventually do switch it ON.

Therefore my advice is always leave it ON, remember during the winter it also demists the car quicker and is thus safer option. :)

Matt - for interest who is the mobile service agent? I will put the contact details on the main site.

NB. The AC unit on the 75/ZT is off *** origin. Also, for those that are conscious of noises. There is a whirring noise from the unit as actuators shut down the system post engine switch off.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
As an aside, Aircon in Rovers has come a long way, and used to be a completley Rover system.
Aircon was std. in the SD1 VDP and optional in many others in the SD1 range exc the 2.0. That system was built in Witney by Delanair (Formerly Smiths Industries) and they also churned out heater systems for all the range, and Volvo were a huge customer of theirs. They were a huge employer in the town.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave

I've lived nr Witney for 11 years now and didn't know this.

On the *** R75/ZT aircon unit I do think the COLD output is a little poor. I thought it may have been the R75 at fault when I owned it, but the ZT is the same. There you go *** again. :D

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Jerry,

His name is John Alford and his company is called Air Con Direct.

His number is: 01474 832941.

I got to know him after mountains of problems with my 827 Sterling. He is very knowledgable and a throroughly nice chap. Very reasonable rates too!!!

He has a website on:

http://www.airconditioningforcars.co.uk/

This website is excellent as he has taken the time to explain all the need to know and more about AC and is not simply plugging his own business.

He travels around and does a lot of main dealer AC work.

As I said before, the main agents I have encountered are not the best with AC as if any problems arise they tend not to have a good enough understanding of the system fundementals to diagnose and rectify. OK for gassing it up and thats it.

Matt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.