MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Please go easy on me as I am just about to purchase an '03 MG ZS 180 (Saloon), and coming from Alfa Romeo I'm still a little unsure of the way MG Rover put their cars together!

One thing, in my own opinion, that makes these cars look a bit nasty, is the front indicator lenses (in orange!). Some cars I have looked at have clear indicator lenses, and wondered if this is quite a straight forward procedure to change the indicator lenses from orange to clear ones? Is the indictor lense a seperate part, or is it all integral with the headlamp unit itself? Can I just buy any Rover 400 unit or is there a difference between these and the MG ZS units?

Any help appreciated!

Many Thanks,
Anthony.

·
Registered
224 Posts
They are rover 45 headlights you have seen, the standard orange units which every mk1 180 had to differ from the rover 45's, should of been the other way around imo, i will eventually get a set of r45 lights for my xpg 180 like i did for my yellow 180, real simple to fit just have to take front bumper of to swap the lights :)

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
Or you could deorange the ones fitted.

·
The Pope
3,408 Posts
if you mean hight wise, yes they are. What Alfa did you have? You'll find a ZS more clamped to the road than a 156 or 157 unless it had had its suspension tweeked. To look at the suspension is very similar, just Alfa's wasn't tuned properly for UK roads.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I did mean height adjustable!

Actually you would be suprised. My Alfa has Eibach anti-roll bars, powerflexed suspension arms, strutbraces and adjustable Koni suspension all round, which has transformed the handling! My first impressions of getting out of a 3.0 156 V6 Alfa Romeo into an MG ZS 180 was how much less torque and power the MG had, even compared to the 2.5 V6 156 I had, although you are right about the road holding with an Alfa in standard form. Alfa's are very good cars, the 156 was when Alfa really sorted out the build quality of their cars and I haven't heard or seen anything so nice as their V6 24v engines, they really are one of the best engines ever designed I think.

I did put this up on another post too about comparing them. They are two different leagues of car, although the MG is down on performance and build quality of the Alfa, I really do get the impression that you can have much more fun in the MG, just not all the flair you get with an Alfa!

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Yes the 180 has electrical height adjustment for the headlights.

There were some japanese spec Rover 45 headlights on eBay (from the zwarehouse IIRC), changing the componets over is quite easy.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was thinking off getting some of that black tint spray and spraying my indicators, anyone know if it would work would a orange bulb still flash orange and throught it.

·
won hay-tee
607 Posts
If it is not sprayed on to heavy then they still flash orange.

You can also use gloss black paint, as long as you dust a light coating on, you only need a super light coating if you use normal paint, then laquer/clear coat it afterwards.

Proper "tint spray" generally needs a few coats.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts