MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was younger I wanted to be a meteorologist.
I would gaze into a girls eyes and see if I could tell wether.

:D

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
When I was a very small child I wanted to be a bus driver :D

When I got a bit older I wanted to be a nurse.

Now I'm stuck in IT and want to be a midwife but without the weekend work and late night shifts :(

Maybe I'm just too fussy??

G

·
John

I think your teasing.

Me - I wanted to fly Vulcan bombers or fly the Lightning and bomb the **** out of the USSR.

Best say - that I grew up at the age of 18 and joined the RAF as a Flight Engineer and could then bomb the **** out of SSBN's with ye olde ******** depth bombs.

Now I'm very PC and truck computers out of Hong Kong in an aircraft that burns 14,000 Kgs(around 3,850 Imp galls/hr) of fuel per hour.

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reminds me of a t-shirt that many were wearing in the 70's,

Join the Air Force
Fly over distant exotic lands
Look down at happy waving people
And drop bombs on them.

:D :D :D

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Never mind Jerry, next time you are at MAN, then drive to BAE Woodford where there is a Vulcan reportedly still maintained in flying order. Is there not a project to get another one off the ground somewhere?

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vulcans

Big noisy things - I can remember being stood watching 4 of them in a 'mock' scramble at RAF Finningley years ago - couldn't hear anything for some time IIRC.
I can also remember seeing, at Finningley, another piece of kit that was very advanced for the time - the TSR2.

G

·
XM558

Yep - one at Bruntingthorpe XM558 - the last one on the airshow circuit. They needed a couple of million the last time I looked to get it airworthy!

The other discused was the airshow reserve which is now at Wellesbourne - don't think it will ever fly - does high speed taxis.

Now that's scary - I've seen the results when an Olympus engine "grenades". These will be started and then taxied by someone well out of recency.

OT- Mike Beechyhead (South African) has Lighnings and Buccaneers in a lovely Black Gloss finish that he flies for anyone with a few thousand in their pocket. :D

PS. Will find the url for the Brunters crowd (XM558) :D

PSS. Remember as a kid seeing from my school in Cottesmore a Vulcan on fire - eventually crashed into my Uncles Farm - in their orchard (his mother was preparing vegetables when it impoded in the orchard a mere 100metres away). Pilots banged out at the last minute. Also remember the 4-minute scrambles - you couldn't miss 'em. We lived only a mile away from the base - the noise unforgetable of 4 V-bombers in close scramble formation.

Also, the white Bloodhounds standing at attention ar RAF Woolfox Lodge (nr Stamford) adjacent to the A1 to guard the nearby stations - Luffenham (Thor) - Cottesmore & Wittering (V-bombers).

Britsish and Proud!

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
<Is there not a project to get another one off the ground somewhere?>
Theres one at southend airport that they have ambitions of flying one day.they still do high speed taxi runs during the southend air show.I was lucky enough to see one at the airshow about ten years ago-a truely awesome display.
i only wish i'd seen a lightning too.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
BTW, I always wanted to be a train driver. Somehow I wound up as a hi-speed printer and copier tech. :confused:
Ah well. Being made redundant at the end of last year made me re-appraise things, and tho I got another job immidiately, this period has made me divert my energies into my adult ambition to become a British vehicle historian. Then, when I make enough dough, I could take on a sales job at a MGR dealers for pocket money, then, I'll flog the house and open an MGR dealership!
Anyone else up for it? Long term of course!!:cool:

G

·
Lightnings are still fying in SA as mentioned.

The aircraft you saw was XM558. See http://www.vulcan558club.com/

During the Falklands, not only did they fly the "Black Buck" missions. But they were hastily converted as tankers - I flew for hours doing receiving trials behind them witha Nimrod - stacks of pictures somewhere!

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At one time I wanted to join the Navy. Went through AIB at HMS Sultan but ended up quitting college and going into industry.
Was also offered an interview at Biggin Hill for aircrew selection.

G

·
John

You would have enjoyed the RAF - then. Good life style - holidays paid for in the Falklands and as much time off as the teaching profession! :D

Don't think it's the place it was. Reminds me - I thought about the reserves - what with everything I've forgotten - tomorrow pm job!

Lack of investment - like all public institutions! Wowwa - high horse warning!

G

·
Dave

MGR dealership - we would go out of business - I think we are too honest to sell to normal punters.

Now that MINI sir you don't want that, you want the R25 instead! Result - "NO SALE"

Or we would bore them to death!

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know a few people from RAF Waddington, they think the same.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Kev,
Heres a Lightning, but in the rather inglorious setting of a car dealership off the A38 near Totnes.
BTW is there any truth in the rumour that they don't want to let Lightnings up in the air privately because they are a tad faster than anything in the RAF??

Attachments

G

·
Yep and Waddo is a good base. New investment a few years back for the AWACS and before it the ill fated Nimrod AEW!

Spent some time in the mid 90's on tanker detachments with the Tri Motor - nice pub in Waddo as I remember!

Don't know if you know, but theyare now offering bribes for some pilots to stay in - the shortage is so acute. How can you blame them when they are flying second rate kit - VC10 and their counterparts fly the high tech Airbus on double the money?

Reply to Dave's Q: No its the CAA stopping them in the UK - safety. As they would have to fly under "civil rules" and they deemed the owners could not comply. They made the same ruling for the Shackleton - which is now flown privately in the USA and SA!

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Friend of mine from my college days has recently left the RAF - still doing the same job, same place, with the same people and is still entitled to use 'Squadron Leader' before his name. Only difference is that he can travel to work in any clothes that he likes and gets paid from a different source.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I remember staying at RAF Manston during my time in the Air Cadets back in 78. We used to wander around the aircraft dump, and crawled over old Victor Bombers that were waiting to be torched for fire practice. Ripped an altmeter out of one, still got it.
Best ever flight I had down there, in an RN Devon XJ368 on coastal patrol. Took my gliding scholarship @Little Riss in old Sedburghs. A brick could stay up longer!

<<Now that MINI sir you don't want that, you want the R25 instead! Result - "NO SALE">>

By that time the impracticality of the BMiniW will be well known and they will all want the new 25:D :D

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
<< Shackleton - which is now flown privately in the USA and SA!>>

Ahh the Shackelton...Whats that they say? 40,000 rivets flying in close formation
:D :D

G

·
That's right - they built a Mk3 version in the sixties. With two additional jet engines. 4 Piston engines each with a contra roating prop and two jets. Eight turning - two burning was the phrase.

Or Eight screws are better than 2 **** Job's. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts