MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following a recent 'service' in which the garage fiddled and failed to reset the service counter (why is that such a mystery?!) my central locking no longer works! Of course the garage maintain their innocence.

I have tried to look at it with a diagnostics computer, which reads 'imobiliser ECU failure' - great!

Basicly, I can open all the doors with the remote key fob, lights flash as normal, but when I try to lock it, nothing! Not even the faint click of a relay - just the LED on the fob illuminates. I have tried resetting the fob (remove the battery for a while) and tried the spare fob, but exactlty the same results (thanks Claire!).

Even if I manually lock the door, only the driver's door locks, not the whole lot. Of course, the alarm and immobiliser do not set.

I am considering disconnecting the car battery for a while, but fear the damage is done...

Any 260 owners experienced such a problem, or know of a solution?

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
Dunno if it will help but worth a go

Disconnect battery for 10mins or so then reconnect

To re sync the keyfob, Hold the fob close to the car and operate either lock/unlock buttons at least 4 times in quick succession.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
havent got a waterleak into the bulkhead have youie plenum full of water? they leak from the bulkhead through to behind the dash and nicely right into the central locking ecu

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys for your feedback - the waterleak into the bulkhead sounds particularly nasty!

As it happens, it was the immobiliser fuse, blown by an incompetant mechanic (yes I know, I was shocked too!).

So top-tip: never try to reset the service counter with anything but a T4 diagnostic computer!

Happy motoring!
Rupert

·
19,410 Posts
Nice to hear you got it sorted:yup:

·
19,410 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Phil - I've bought one. I will let you know how I get on!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Phil et al, I finally tried out the ebay 'gismo' yesterday - worked a treat!

Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts