MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

Car christening tape/MD

1K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Clive 
#1 · (Edited)
Now I've got my ZS ordered, I want to make either a cassette or MD compilation to christen it. I'm not fussy about the type of music, but I don't like opera, nu-metal, new country, most dance music, and prog rock.
And I'm looking for stuff that has a driving theme or is just purely good music to belt along to.

So far I've got:
"Swastika Eyes"-Primal Scream
"Self-Preservation Society" from 'The Italian Job' soundtrack
"Learning To Fly"-Tom Petty
"Queen Bitch"-David Bowie
"45" - Elvis Costello (subtle, that one)

So have a bit of light-hearted fun. Help out yer old Uncle Phil, the man with the large-ish but not huge record collection.

I normally hang about on the Mojo Magazine website, but I thought I'd put this question here, rather than there, just to see where your collective heads are at. Man.:D

#6 ·
Phil,
How about Car Club by the Beach Boys..Great tune i`d say and quite fitting..

Infact if you go to the following link.(a MG related website hosted by a member on this forum,(ffcphone to precise))
If you go to the events section and scroll down to the bottom of the page under meet#1 and download the short video you shall hear this track as the soundtrack to various MG`s spinning around some fun roads.

Well worth a look at the rest of the site as well by the way.

Heres the link:
http://www.btinternet.com/~cameron1/nmgo/front.htm

#9 ·
Back in '89, I drove an MG Maestro out from the showroom to the accompaniment of Soul II Soul's "Keep on Movin'. It did. past many XR3's as well!

Titles don't always have to come into it, just something evocative. But you can always try.... Deacon (Trophy) Blue (Steely Dan) Le Mans Green Green Grass of Home (Tom Jones)
and anything by K-(series)Klass

:D

#11 ·
I reckon you can't go wrong with 'The Ace of Spades' and 'Passenger', good couple of tunes :)

#13 ·
I managed to find an old CD compilation with a lot of good stuff on, including both those tracks. If you can't find your copy we could sort something out, perhaps :)

#16 · (Edited)
mook said:
I managed to find an old CD compilation with a lot of good stuff on, including both those tracks. If you can't find your copy we could sort something out, perhaps :)
Mook. thanks for the offer. I've only just been able to revisit this site, again since my last posting and I'm picking the new beastie up this a.m, so it's a little late now. Thanks anyway.
And 'A Whole Lotta Rosie" would also have been great but I don't have any AC/DC.

There have been some excellent suggestions from everybody. Special mention for Dave Harrison and his colour themed suggestions.
And an equally special "Go and stand in the corner" award to Clive: Phil Colllins? PHIL COLLINS?? Doh!! You'll be suggesting a Sting track next. Oh dearie me....

Anyroad up, final track listing was:

'Wet Dream' - Max Romeo. (rude reggae)
'Swastika Eyes' - Primal Scream
'Silver Machine'- Hawkwind (ok, so it's not silver...)
'Self-Preservation Society'- Italian Job Soundtrack
'Learning To Fly'- Tom Petty
'Ace Of Spades' - Motorhead
'Going Mobile' - The Who

I decide to keep it really short, rather than do a massive comp

Right, I have to go and get a bath now. Otherwise, mummy says the nice gentleman at Autoworld won't give me my new toy if I'm not a nice & clean little boy...

G
#17 ·
Just had to put that one in, surprising how people react coz i reckon it's the only track he did which is worth a listen!!
Still, i suppose i should expect no less from someone who likes Hawkwind!! :D :D (Whole lotta love by Led Zep has surely gotta be a better bet!?)

#18 ·
Funny you should say that. I've got a Zep comp planned for my holidays in June...

I always did have a bit of an on/off, love /hate relationship with the Hawklords music over the years. I think they're the nearest thing we Brits had to The Greatful Dead, but much more agressive!!:rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.