MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm very interested in buying a 1.8 (120bhp) ZT-T and I was wondering do they suffer from the same HG problems as the ZR\25 and ZS\45? I ask as I have heard from various sources that some MG\Rover models dont suffer as badly with HG.

Also any other major things to note when buying a ZT-T?

Thank you in advance.

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
There is a good chance that it will already have been done so try and find one which has the new multi-layer gasket already fitted!

The cost of a new HG for a ZT should not be a big bill for a car of that size and the multi-layer gasket should mean it will only ever need one new one.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm going for a 120 because they are £2,000 for a low mileage one around a 04 reg. The diesel is around £3,500 for the same reg and mileage (maybe more). So to me it makes sense to get a 120, get the HG replaced with the new HG you speak about like in my wifes TF and have the belts done at the same time for £500 at a company called British Legends. Now this will cost me £2,500 (maybe less depending on the deal I spin) for a solid car and I will still have £1,000+ left for petrol so over the course of 2 years the 2 cars balance out at around the same total cost. The 120 returns 36mpg and the diesel 48mpg. I do low mileage so I cant see the diesel actually saving me money. Another point is I've done the ZS V6, 120's & Coupes and I dont care about performance anymore and I would like the ZT-T for the ability to load large things in its boot space :). Also the K wins hands down for parts and ease for mechanics which I can do myself (mostly). And personally I enjoyed my 2 120 ZS's just as much as my costly fueled ZS V6, with or without the nice engine note.

What things should I watch out for on a ZT-T then :)?

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
The ZT is a fair bit heavier than a ZS, it will feel a little slow in comparison but owners do seem happy with it. The engines built in 04 and later appear to be somewhat better than the earlier ones and the ZT does have the PRT system which is supposed to help but the weight of the car definitely doesn't, I would just put the money aside in case it is needed rather than replace the HG in case, and make sure it has a working low coolant alarm so that you don't need to worry.

Also remember that the car has a lot of BMW parts which can be rather more expensive than ZS parts if they are needed. But at least it doesn't have a BMW engine like the diesel.

The only common ZT problem I can remember is water in the electrics when the drain holes block - do a search.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks Windy. I'm really dont care about performance any more and I cant be trusted anyway so I'm better without it :) lol. It's a 04 mk1 ZT-T that I will be buying this weekend and I'm really excited about getting this beauty. Thanks for the tips and I totally agree with you regarding the HG and have decided not to replace it unless it fails so thank you for that, but I will be replacing the cam belt straight away though. I once bought a beautiful S reg purple flip paint Rover Coupe and had the belts snap in the first week of ownership, man I was gutted and it was right on the 60,000 mile mark :-( this will never happen to me again.

I'm looking forward to joining you people on the forum again, I have been adrift for the last 4 months over on the Alfa forum having bought a GTV due to my ZS going totally wrong. Great forum but the cars deserve to go back to the hell that spawned them :) lol. One thing that really annoyed me with the Alfa ownership was how they could make such awful mechanical cars and still be here today, poor old MG\Rover's.

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
I once bought a beautiful S reg purple flip paint Rover Coupe and had the belts snap in the first week of ownership, man I was gutted and it was right on the 60,000 mile mark :-( this will never happen to me again.
That was really bad luck :( Maybe they died from age rather than millage.

Unless you know it's history, I would run it for a couple of weeks to see if there is any coolant loss before you change the belts since there is a significant chance that it's being sold because it is starting to show signs of HGF. If you change the HG then you need to change the timing belt at the same time anyway, there is no point doing it twice.

Good luck with this one :)

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Good luck with the ZT.

My only experience with Alfas was a 33 green cloverleaf, it had the 1.5 alfa sud boxer engine and twin twin choke webers and a close ratio gear box, that car could shift, I had it for 2 years and the only issues were a blown exhaust, worn discs and a clock that didn't work.

The only reason it went was we bought it as an insurance write off due to the N/S b piller being stoved in, 2 years later the MOT changed and you had to open all doors independly inside and out, the N/S/R wouldn't open with out the front being open.

Even when we scrapped it I was pleased, cost £800, sold for £400.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Alfa GTV goes really well and uses the power it has wisely but there are soooo many weak spots on the GTV its silly for a car that cost £24,000 new :-O. The parts are so expensive as well. A cambelt change is just over £500 and the belts are weak and known for snapping. The suspension is a really cool set up with interlinked rear mcphearson suspension let down by rubbish god awful bushes that wear out in 10-20,000 miles which means another £600 polybushing or £1,000 to change the wishbones and dog legs. The car shouldnt rust and doesnt, apart from underneath which rusts for fun. The electrics are just awful and on the GTV and are known to catch fire. To change the 8 spark plugs cost £80. Man I'm just stratching the service here, even the exhaust which sounds so sweet as standard costs over £1,000 from front to back. These GTV's have serious PMT :).

Seriously I'm pleased to be back, hopefully, as long as the deal goes through and the GTV lasts till the weekend :).

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey dude welcome back
Thanks Arron :). Man a 5.7 V8 aye, thats just awesome and I bet she sounds it as well.

I'm pleased you got my old V6 fixed up again as she was a good car. Now all you need to do is stopping people hitting it :lol:. I saw you in it the other day and she looked cracking :cool:

·
Its a V8 user thing...
2,122 Posts
I see you know about the lack of power and how it will struggle when loaded up so good luck with the purchase.

Look out for the three drains either side of the bonnet hinge and below the pollen filter, also on the ZTT and Tourers the rear springs tend to snap at the ends.

Have a look at the rear lights owners have to remove them to replace the bulbs and can be damaged on the lugs.

The rear boot screen is prone to leaking, an easy fix but if not sorted will send water into the wheel well.

I've got the tourer and love the versatility.

I'm going for a 120 because they are £2,000 for a low mileage one around a 04 reg. The diesel is around £3,500 for the same reg and mileage (maybe more). So to me it makes sense to get a 120, get the HG replaced with the new HG you speak about like in my wifes TF and have the belts done at the same time for £500 at a company called British Legends. Now this will cost me £2,500 (maybe less depending on the deal I spin) for a solid car and I will still have £1,000+ left for petrol so over the course of 2 years the 2 cars balance out at around the same total cost. The 120 returns 36mpg and the diesel 48mpg. I do low mileage so I cant see the diesel actually saving me money. Another point is I've done the ZS V6, 120's & Coupes and I dont care about performance anymore and I would like the ZT-T for the ability to load large things in its boot space :). Also the K wins hands down for parts and ease for mechanics which I can do myself (mostly). And personally I enjoyed my 2 120 ZS's just as much as my costly fueled ZS V6, with or without the nice engine note.

What things should I watch out for on a ZT-T then :)?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hey jimmy

The camaro v8 is a glorious sound I have to say. I'm missing it now tho as i have garaged it till April.

Yeah the 180's still going strong touch wood let me when you get the zt would be good to catch up. You still got the really nice red tf?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the tips Timh, I have added these to my check list.

Yeah be good to meet up Arron, I will PM you once I have the car :). We still have the wifes TF, thats going no where, its a cracking car and it now has the 7 layered upgraded HG fitted so touch wood it will go on and on.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If the springs were broken, is this an easy spot and more importantly is it something they look for in a MOT? I ask as the MOT will be done by the garage when I buy it so it will be there issue :). Also its a 04 reg mk1 and from my research the problem with snapped springs were on the 02'ish models and Rover did a recall.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am now one really happy owner of a lovely ZT-T, I'm very excited about picking it up from British Legends at the weekend after its had its belts done and wow what a car, another class :).

See you all on the forum :).

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Picked it up today :) proper over the moon with it and drives like a dream. I have that MG bug back again :lol:.

Proper happy with the work British Legends put into it last week.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts