MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We often hear (or at least used to) abouts peoples perceptions of MGR cars as being unreliable and of poor build quality (although I do not subscribe to this idea).

If this were to be true, how come I see so many of them on the roads, almost all in good condition, and very rarely broken down (which is more than I can say for some other marques).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well I think part of the reason is the rubbish written in many motoring magazines, and I don’t just mean recently. The let’s knock anything made in Britain attitude is something I have seen from these motoring journalists since at least the 70s.

And of course the motorcar has become more of a fashion accessory than a means of transport to many people, witness the current crop of TV advertising for European made cars.

It does not really matter if you genuinely want to own a *** or any other make if there is something that suits your needs. The enthusiast, who presumably is most of us on this forum, wants something a bit more than having some style magazine telling you what car you should have. Perhaps we are people who see through the spin are a bit more. Individualist and able to think for our self.

If MGR are judged on their products, they are just as good as most of the completion, and probably better than some.

Some halfwit motoring correspondent with writer’s block will always fall back on the “It’s safe to knock British” theme to fill up some column inches he needs to finish to get paid. And of course if he finds a story about an Audi recall that is not news, but MGR?

I think this is true, I also think this is sad.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts