MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got experience of engine mods that could offer some advice to me??

Really want to know what the best route is to get more from the KV6... Running wing mounted open cone at the moment and full janspeed system...

What next tho???

·
Registered
213 Posts
get it remapped by this guy he is really gud
http://reidyremaps.co.uk/
he quoted me for my zs 180 £220
he has done around 25 zs180 so far and has seen an average bhp of 205 and torque 270 which isnt bad when standard they are 177 bhp and 240nm of torque getting mine done once ive had the cam belt and water pump done

·
Registered
343 Posts
Piper aren't making any more verniers so there's not much point in fitting different cams because you'll not get the best out of them without. I've had to make my own and I've no idea whether they are going to be any good becasue the engine isn't finished yet.

Its been said that you can re-time the inlets with the standard pulleys because they are adjustable, but I thinbk it would be very hard in practice. And that still leaves the exhaust side without adjustment.

Still....it can all be done if you've got a real itch to scratch....

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
My previous ZS 180 had the following modifications. I've put costs next to them too, but prices have altered since 18 months ago.
These are just the prices I paid - people like George may be able to do cheaper.

Janspeed manifolds - £575 plus £250 fitting
Janspeed sports cat - £250 plus £35 fitting
Janspeed back box - £175 plus £20 fitting
Janspeed intermediate pipe - £140 plus £35 fitting

(I did my exhaust over a few months so had to pay fitting for each individual item)

ITG Maxogen - £364
Dastek unichip piggyback ecu - £464
Piper cams and pulleys - £250 forum private sale
Fitment of cams, pulleys and new belts - £900

After all that the car was finally rolling road tested at 204bhp before I sold it.

I'm going a slightly different route with my new ZS. There's a decat on it's way, and this time round I'm going for good brakes, lightweight wheels and lightened flywheel before looking into reprofiled cams in the autumn.

In the grand scheme of things it's very small gains for a lot of money.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My previous ZS 180 had the following modifications. I've put costs next to them too, but prices have altered since 18 months ago.
These are just the prices I paid - people like George may be able to do cheaper.

Janspeed manifolds - £575 plus £250 fitting
Janspeed sports cat - £250 plus £35 fitting
Janspeed back box - £175 plus £20 fitting
Janspeed intermediate pipe - £140 plus £35 fitting

(I did my exhaust over a few months so had to pay fitting for each individual item)

ITG Maxogen - £364
Dastek unichip piggyback ecu - £464
Piper cams and pulleys - £250 forum private sale
Fitment of cams, pulleys and new belts - £900

After all that the car was finally rolling road tested at 204bhp before I sold it.

I'm going a slightly different route with my new ZS. There's a decat on it's way, and this time round I'm going for good brakes, lightweight wheels and lightened flywheel before looking into reprofiled cams in the autumn.

In the grand scheme of things it's very small gains for a lot of money.
Great post, thanks!!

I've considered that it will be a great expense with little gains but wanted feedback from others that had done this sort of work.

I too have Janspeed manifold, sport cat and duplex system. Also running wing mounted cold air feed with apexi open cone.

Can you give me more info on the piggy back ecu?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Great post, thanks!!

I've considered that it will be a great expense with little gains but wanted feedback from others that had done this sort of work.

I too have Janspeed manifold, sport cat and duplex system. Also running wing mounted cold air feed with apexi open cone.

Can you give me more info on the piggy back ecu?
The piggyback ecru was set up on a rolling road over the course of a day.

I got next to no gains out of it but it did correct my fuelling as 180's tend to run lean at the top end after breathing mods.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts