MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, my cam belts were changed at 112,476 and the milage is now 136,500,when or at what milage should i think about getting them changed?garages have said different times thinkin that all they want is the job and the readys so thought ask you lot at to what time/milage i should think about getting them changed,cheapest been quoted was £675,i dont really drive her hard(mg zs180)but only do short journey.

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's 90K miles or 6 years which ever comes soonest.

·
Registered
951 Posts
As Raptor says - 90k or 6 years, so yours will be due at . . . .

202,476 miles or 6 years after they were changed the first time - whichever is the soonest.

What date were they done last time?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I have always been wondering as to whether anyone has actually seen a belt at 90000 miles and had the opportunity to compare it with one that is six years old and has done say half the miles? Is the wear comparable in any way.

·
Registered
951 Posts
All I've got in the shed is my old belts - 93k miles and 5 years old, but I've nothing to compare to. Need someone like Lates or Gas-axe to comment on that one.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
I did ask Lates at the time re going that extra year. Basically it's a lottery as we all know. You take your chance.

·
Administrator
10,642 Posts
Belts at 90k do look very polished/worn/micro cracked.

The 2003 19,000 mile ZS I did a few weeks back showed the very same micro-cracking on the back of the belt but not the highly polished look as the high mileage belt did.

Tensioners/rollers on the low mileage car were as new.

Water pump on a facelift ZS180 at 40,000 miles was leaking!

As you say, it is a complete lottery, but in saying that, KV6 belts are generally reliable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts