MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have reached an age where I can afford a performance car, and I will probably only have this one before I plump for a diesel due to my future career.

I was trying to decide between a Toyota Corolla T-Sport and a Civic Type R...when I suddenly remembered how much I loved my dads 2002 plate MG ZS 180 before he went and replaced it with the ZT 260.

So I have came to the conclusion that if I want something with a bit more class, exclusivity and a damn sight better looking (those flared arches give me a man fizz) then it had to be a facelift ZS 180.

Now my current car (a toyota corolla 1.6 2007 plate) can be sold on for around 6K so I pretty much have the pick of the field when it comes to choosing my ZS so I can get a decently mileaged one. Although I live in Glasgow, I am willing to travel to pick up the right car.

I just have a few questions.

I have heard that the KV series have a habit of blowing their HGs, is this true? I had one go on a punto at 80000 miles before I had the corolla and it cost the pricely sum of £600 to put right. Annoying when the car is only worth about a grand.

What is the standard audio like in these cars? Sound wise? Music is very important to me (I'm a music journalist) and often listen to my "work" while commuting.

I will be looking to add an exhaust and air filter at some point, does anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you and I hope I can contribute something useful to this forum in the future.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I can only answer a few of the questions but I'm sure others will be along to help out. But I will say you’re making a great choice with the car, I love mine!

The ZS180 has a KV6 engine which rarely suffers from HGF, it's the 4 pots that have a bit of an issue with the HG. However more importantly on the KV6 make sure the cam belts are in good nick and have been changed at the right intervals, it's a big, expensive job (£500-£600)

Standard audio setup is not great but it's easy to put in new radio and speakers.

If you look in the for sale bit there is normally a few good ZS180's going, most people have already changed the exhaust and air filters.

Hope this helps a bit. As I said I'm sure others will be along to help a bit more

Rusty

·
Registered
600 Posts
you wont ever regret getting a zs 180 there are a few niggling things to get sorted but as people say alot of people do get them sorted before sell any way...

but when buying make sure if they say cambelts have been changed dont take there word for it ask for invoice or receipt of work.

cuz mine was supposedly done but when i got it booked in for cambelts it did still have originals on .

also one thing to check is the hydraulic clutch either make sure its been replaced or source a sheddist kit for it .

another thing to check is the the ext air temp sensor works ok as some of these can go,only a £50 fix so nothing major.

one final thing check to make sure body is straight and there hasnt been any damage to bumpers lights as these are getting incredibly difficult to source now.

theres plenty of info on the site if you use the search function and everyone is very helpful on here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why do I need to replace the clutch? And how much does that usually cost? I don't want to be put off by a shedload of work needing done.

·
Registered
295 Posts
It's not the clutch that has problems but the clutch hydraulics, they are prone to failing with little or no warning. One of the forum members 'sheddist' makes an upgrade kit for it, it seems like a very good investment. I haven't done it yet on mine as it seems to be going strong on my car (98,000 miles so far) but will do when I have a bit of spare cash, have a look at http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?t=31042&highlight=clutch for more info.

Rusty

·
MG ZS 180 MKI
3,364 Posts
KV6 and HGF are unheard of. The 4pot K series have the issues but the KV6 is fine when it come to HG, no worries there what so ever!

Sound system is ok that's about it. Wont do no harm in investing in some speakers and a head unit if the one you get hasn't already had one.

Recommendations on mods:
1) Air filter is a must, go for the ITG set up. It was an option when the cars where new from MG and I was pleased to get mine. If its a loud noise you want from the bonnet then look elsewhere or just put your foot down more and let the V6 make its own music as the ITG is enclosed doesn't make much noise but make a difference in performance (something I feel is more important than noise)

2) I went for an Xpower back box. There are others but I loved the noise mine made. You could opt for the single or twin exit and get a de-can for more pops and bangs ;)

3) I would add some Xpower lowering springs to the list mate. They are brilliant bits of kit and well worth every penny!!

Hope all this helps.

P.S. Just look out for cars that have a rattle coming from the plastic inlet manifold. Can be a big fix if goes wrong.

Look at getting the cast thermo housing installed. Not a must but could save you money if the plastic one goes.

Look into getting the sheddist clutch kit fitted. Again could save you in the long run.

If you shop around you may find some of these already fitted as they are quite common mods for these cars. Mine had all of the above and I would see it as a very good reliable example of one of these fine cars.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
One of the things to also look out for are the Vis motors, they give a kick at 3000, revs and 4500 revs?? not sure, as I have a derv, but read a lot about the motors on here.

Quite an easy fix.

Best bet is to take a few out for a test drive so you can get a feel for a good one.

Hope you get a good one.

:wave:

·
Zedhead
177 Posts
If its of any use to you i picked up a 2002 zs180 with 110k on the clock for £900, had it over 6 months now and its been a belter, but watch out for the inlet manifold rattle... its very noticeable ( clatter ) also the clutches can be a bit mishmash, mine has a judder when setting off in 1st... i think its the torque rod under the engine thats goosed, other areas are the airbag light coming on (connector under the seat ) and sticking rear calipers... dont let me put you off as i love my zed 180 probably more so than my last car (mitsubishi fto gpx).

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Agreed with all of the above except, like any car, the HG can go if there is insuficiant coolant, the thermostat housing in the middle of the vee can fail and leak coolant.

The belts are 90k or 6 years, there are 3 of them.

Failed Vis rattle sounds like a bag of spanners at tickover.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts