MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the other half was working all weekend I managed to spend two full days tweeking a few things on my new ZS.

First thing was the rattling inlet manifold... I was aware of this when I bought the car and as the only real negative point couldnt really complain. Anyway following the donation of a spare rattling one for me to repare and replace I set to work opening it up. Only to find that the "rattling broken" one I had just recieved had absolutly nothing wrong with it. All the ball joints on the lever attachments were tight and in place and there were no broken bits? So I cleaned it out, regreased the ball joints and sealed it back up. Swapped the VIS motors over (the existing ones were both fine) and runns good as new! So quite happy with that, definate differnce in low rev response and the nice little pull at 3K rpm that was missing previously. I'll pull appart the actual broken one I took off when I next get chance and set that up as a spare.

I also noticed my heater fan settings had gone on 1 and 2, luckly I had bought a pack of 20 resistors for my last ZS with the same problem so only took 5 min to whip out the resistor pack and swap out the broken coils for high power resistors... result fixed fan.

Job 3 was an easy one, replace the pannel air filter with the piper cross one I got with the car, ideally I will locate this in the inner wing and route the pipe up to the inlet, but for now just fitted it direct. I know the heat soak from teh engine will more or less balence with any improvement but it sounds cool now and the revs pick up a bit quicker.

I also sorted out a number of minor bits and bobs too, like putting an actual spare wheel (luckly I had a 14" steel wheel in the garage) in the back, and putting a new tax disc holder in.

Final job was swapping out the speakers, the car has a decent SONY head unit (which wasnt in right, it's quite tight for the wires at the back and you need to pull them through from behind to get it to sit in tight. Anyway door cards off infinity 3-ways in. rear speakers were even easier as the PO had removed the torsion bars for the boot and fitted pnumatic push rods :) so 6x9"s went straight in with no fiddling.

Only two more jobs left now, remove the now redundant resonator box from the inner wing and mount the open cone filter there, and swap out the CAT for my spare hollowed out one :)

So all in all a succesfull weekend I think.

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
A good weekends workcool2

1 - 4 of 4 Posts