MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Lighten up dude
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:

If you haven't seen this movie you haven't lived - about as iconic late 60's as you can get - the star, Steve McQueen (car and bike mad), the graphics (Saul Bass inspired), the music Lalo Schifren - they were all Gods. This movie re-wrote the book for urban thrillers and inspired amongst others the Dirty Harry series (Clint borrowed a lot including Schifren to do the theme music) and (much) later The Bodyguard (Kevin Costner - actually a sequel to Bullitt which McQueen never took up). There was also a nice cameo for the Shelby Mustang in Nicolas Cage's (a big McQueen fan) Gone in Sixty Seconds circa 2000.

This film changed my life and although I have never managed to own the Mustang (yet, although I have touched a '68 Shelby in Connecticut) it did inspire me to own a Rover Vitesse V8 SDi in the 80's (which probably handled better but was down on the power).

Anyway, here is the chase scene with a very nice Google Earth link so that you can track the actual streets in San Francisco as the cars move along. One day I am going to drive these roads in a Mustang.... maybe a 260 ;):D:racer: - it is my destiny.

Steve McQueen insisted on doing the driving himself and he was the instigator of using the Shelby tuned Mustang in the movie although for insurance reasons the film producer later had a (British) stunt driver overdub some of the action... the difficulty was getting all the angles to make the most of the driving and they were concerned that Stevie would push it too hard and right himself off if they let him in the car for too long.

Try this link first (the Flash file);

http://www.seero.com/embeds/Seero_Vertical.swf?v=Steve_McQueen_3

and if you struggle go to the original blog page where I found the video

http://www.gregspradlin.com/blog/tag/bullitt/

Enjoy

P

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
I remember seeing this. Long time ago though.

The suspension abuse makes me cringe but what a sound that engine makes! Sweet.:racer:

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
axle tramp i believe its called but not 100% on that.
I've just Googled "Axel Tramp" but can't find a definite description just mentions of wheel spin, diffs and worn shocks.:dunno:

·
Still not cured of MG addiction
7,110 Posts
I've just Googled "Axel Tramp"
That reminds me of:

:)

I think axle tramp is when you have traction problems pulling away, caused by the suspension bouncing up and down as the wheels alternate between spinning and gripping.

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
That reminds me of:

:)
You funny!:lol:

I think axle tramp is when you have traction problems pulling away, caused by the suspension bouncing up and down as the wheels alternate between spinning and gripping.
That's what I read. Seems to be a common problem with drifters.

·
Registered
921 Posts
As far as i can remember axle tramp is where the wheels bounce while spinning and not maintaining contact with the surface

·
Still not cured of MG addiction
7,110 Posts
I'm not surprised we don't know much about axle tramp on this forum, you don't get it with any MG cars, they have proper traction :D

My Hyundai Coupe V6 had it, pulling away with loads of power was a bit messy. Maybe they improved the suspension on the later models, but I always thought I'd have got a better drive out of a Mondeo than I did with mine :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts