MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ITV saturday afternoon 1.45 here but may vary in other regions.

Coverage of mondays BTCC, obviously wont have the atmosphere that was there but worth setting the video for.

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice to see a fair bit of the MGs during the coverage, even using Anthony Reids car to show the circuit.

It will be interesting to see what Vicki Butler-Henderson will have to say about the MGs as the season progresses. She was starting to gain a reputation for being 'less than complimentary' about MGR whilst working on Top Gear.

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Sorry, have to say of the coverage:

In car shots - crap - why do they insist on having a camera at the top of the car looking at the bit of the road just in front of the car - I want to see where we're going...

VBH - Don't get me started on her.

MG coverage - didn't really even mention Hughes retiring, although did show it (briefly)

Overall production was not great, didn't show enough racing, and too much natter IMHO.

Have to say that when we went to brands last year, the quality of video was better on the screens around the circuit than ITV's coverage, and the commentary was waaaaay better too...

·
MG ZT-T 190
6,716 Posts
Firstly if you visit the BTCC forums, the coverage gets a big thumbs up. last years coverage was hopless, much more waffle.
The new show has made a good start.

Series director Richard West, who listens to what fans say, will no doubt be passing on the the few negative comments that have been raised with the producers!

The BBC coverage was never scheduled for any one time slot, fitted in between other sports, highlights were often shown 2 or 3 week after race, when we were all at the next race.

Take it from a top BTCC fan, the coverage is good and can only get better.

Kelvin

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Kelvin,

Compared to last years BTCC footage, perhaps it was good. Indeed I think anyone could probably have done a better job than they did last year, (and in previous years)However, I was rather disappointed when comparing it other sports coverage.

Just didn't give the racing enough time (IMHO). Perhaps the answer to this is to make the programe a decent length rather than trying to show two qualifying sessions, two races, driver/team interviews and post race comments all into one hour long show.

Of course, this will never happen seeing as no tv company really takes motorsport too seriously. Now, if it was football, that would be a different matter entirely.

Don't get me wrong - I think there is potential there for the whole thing to work, but it definately needs work.

Personally speaking, with the quality of the coverage as I saw it, I don't really know why I bothered watching. And this is coming from someone that usually watches any old rubbish on the telly... :)

It seems that the programme didn't really know whether it wanted to be an overview type programme, or a proper racing program. As such, it did neither particularly well...

just my opinion of course... :D

·
MG ZT-T 190
6,716 Posts
I think events on circuit ie. the saftey car periods did not help the flow of the race anyway. Being the first of a new series there had to be a certain amount of background information, now having got over that hopefully they wont repeat themselves, which messers Cox & Watson did last year. Explaing the rules over and over & talking to the viewers as if they knew nothing about motor racing!

There is a better chance for the race to flow at Oulton Park, and the race commentry and pictures shud reflect this..

Kelvin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts