MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
in The Chairman's Chair
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would post this thread for your information.

The car in question is not 90 days old yet !!!!

Whilst putting the wheels back on the wife's ZR105+ (after cleaning them).

I was using the supplied wheel brace to tighten the wheel nuts and during the process one of the wheel stud snapped OFF !

Now I may be a big lad but there is no way on earth that the force I applied with the wheel brace should snap a wheel stud.

The garage however have changed the wheel stud without question but this does make me wonder if it could happen again.

On top of that I have two ZR and am a little concerned now about taking the wheels off again to clean them.

May be MG Rover should do a recall on the ZR and have the wheel studs stress checked ?

·
Registered
214 Posts
i wouldnt worry to much about it mate. it does sound a little scary though! more than likely it was just a fault in the metal however if it happens again be sure to let us know! the last thing any of us need is to be drivin along the m-way only to be overtaken by one of our wheels! :D

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
I had a wheel stud break a few years ago on a Lotus Europa.

You could see a small fault in the metal, very rare (or so I'm told).

·
Registered
362 Posts
Never had a broken wheel stud, but when i had new tyres fitted to the front wheels of my old car the garage two out of four nuts in on a X-thread.

You don't need me to tell you that its a bit dodgey and when i found out (6 weeks l8r while servicing the brakes) i hit the fcuking roof.

Garage would not accept liabilty for the new hub costs but i've never used them again. Another garage has since supplied me with 8 new tyres over a couple of years @ £140 each.

I think i punished the dodgey garage in my own way.

PLEASE CHECK YOUR CAR REGULARLY FOR DAMAGE. PARTICULARLY AFTER BEING IN THE CARE OF GARAGES, FIND THOSE MISTAKES EARLY. IT COULD SAVE YOU MONEY & INJURIES.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts