MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was upgraded to 24 Mbps by my provider but most of the time I'm lucky if I see 9 Mbps. Right now it's mid-afternoon and I'm not even achieving that. Just wondering whether anyone is getting anything close to the "up to" speed they were promised.
http://speedtest.net

·
MKII MGZS180
2,314 Posts
Was upgraded to 24 Mbps by my provider but most of the time I'm lucky if I see 9 Mbps. Right now it's mid-afternoon and I'm not even achieving that. Just wondering whether anyone is getting anything close to the "up to" speed they were promised.
http://speedtest.net
The key word they use is always 'up to'. I'm on Sky unlimited broadband package and on a very good day I get 7Mbps.

Before I moved to this current house, I used to have Virgin Media Broadband using their fibre optic cable. I was on their slowest 10Mb package and I did get nearly 10Mbps speed.

How I wish I have cable here now.

·
No longer a Rover / MG owner.
1,152 Posts
Think it still depends on that length of copper wire connecting your house to the phone system unless you have a fibre optic connection.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I have BT infinity for business and get very close to their advertised 40Mps download and 10 Mps upload at the BT box, I do loose speed by then running 10 meters to the server/wi fi box and then loose more by using a wifi network.

We are only 200 metres from the BT green box which helps.

Other factors to consider are the number of users, if we are all online here we have 3 desktops, 3 laptops and 5 smart phones all connected.

Also a lot of providers slowdown durring the evening due to the number of users on the network.

I have a mate in Canada and can get better speed tests off his local broadband hub than he can 2 miles down the road.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I've just done a test -

19ms ping
14.11Mps Download
7.0Mps Upload

Resonable considering the above.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I can't complain too much. I'm more interested in a reliable service than lightning fast downloads. This I've always had from my provider. And no one can match them for price. Even get free anytime international calls in the mix. Been with them since the internet was invented so it's a loyalty perk. Just signed a new contract so I'm actually paying next to nothing. Still, I was expecting slightly faster speeds than what I'm getting, but that seems to be par with copper wire broadband.

·
Registered
79 Posts
im lucky to even get 3mb lmao plus the fact my internet keeps restarting it self its so anoyying!.

EDIT:
Just done a test and here are the readings, Ive never actually seen my internet hit 6Mbs before so this is a first lool!:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Seen on another site - the guy is running BT Infinity :-

Wish mine was as fast as that!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
36.54 download and 8.32 upload with sky fibre unlimited. I'm in a newbuild estate and only half mile from the BT exchange so I get maximum speeds.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Almost everyone’s facing the same issue. I tried performing the speed test and it gave me different results every time I performed the speed test. Then I tried a different site and that gives the same result even after performing the test 3 times. I strongly recommend you to check your internet speed on this site internet speed test and if you see a difference again, contact your provider or change the internet if possible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts