MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gents,

My gear shift had been feeling a bit notchy for a while leading me suspect low clutch fluid so I checked under bonnet to discover that the clutch fluid reservoir was missing its cap. Perhaps I forgot to screw it back on at the last top-up. IDK.

Anyway, emailed Dark Ice to source a replacement cap and they asked if I wanted just the cap or the diaphragm too. This is news to me cause mine never came with a diaphragm. My kit was supplied with a cheap looking reservoir and even cheaper looking cap. The current kit as advertized says it's a Brembo reservoir.

I guess my question is two-fold. 1) Could leaving the cap off the reservoir lead to hydraulic pressure loss and hence the gear change problem I was having and 2) What is the job of this fabled cap diaphragm and do I really need it?

I've found my old cap now and screwed it back on. Haven't had a chance to drive her yet.

p.s. Nice to see forum is still up!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hi Gents,

My gear shift had been feeling a bit notchy for a while leading me suspect low clutch fluid so I checked under bonnet to discover that the clutch fluid reservoir was missing its cap. Perhaps I forgot to screw it back on at the last top-up. IDK.

Anyway, emailed Dark Ice to source a replacement cap and they asked if I wanted just the cap or the diaphragm too. This is news to me cause mine never came with a diaphragm. My kit was supplied with a cheap looking reservoir and even cheaper looking cap. The current kit as advertized says it's a Brembo reservoir.

I guess my question is two-fold. 1) Could leaving the cap off the reservoir lead to hydraulic pressure loss and hence the gear change problem I was having and 2) What is the job of this fabled cap diaphragm and do I really need it?

I've found my old cap now and screwed it back on. Haven't had a chance to drive her yet.

p.s. Nice to see forum is still up!
sounds more like you have the old sheddist kit with white tube / black bung ?

always thought that black diaphragm was just a seal

without the cap it will degrade the fluid, it will draw absorb water into the fluid. if its been a while i would flush the system with new fluid

P.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a basic black screw cap, no rubber sealing whatsoever. It was supplied with the Dark Ice kit but their current ebay description says they ship with a Brembo. Sending him pic of what I have maybe he'll suprise me with a free Brembo replacement.

I guess the cap could have been off for as long as 2 months. Hope they're easy to bleed. Maybe I'll find instructions on the forum.

sounds more like you have the old sheddist kit with white tube / black bung ?

always thought that black diaphragm was just a seal

without the cap it will degrade the fluid, it will draw absorb water into the fluid. if its been a while i would flush the system with new fluid

P.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
The easiest solution would be a vacuum bleed if you have the equipment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts