MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of today - we cannot accept cheques for goods less than £10.

Just had the 2nd cheque returned and it costs us £20 a throw for the pleasure. Not nice when the Forum is a FREE community! :xmad:

· Registered
1,161 Posts
I hope it wasn't from a regular on the forum, they know how much effort you put in to this place.
Name and shame is not a good idea IMO as the person(s) involved will know who they are and will hopefully be embarrassed by these posts to sort their sh!t out!! :x(

· Which one shall I drive today?
6,505 Posts
A bit late on this one (home PC still down :cry: ) but as the shop keeper I know who this is. I'll check the records tonight to see what's happened, but can't help feeling slightly responsible.

Name and shame isn't a good idea as there could be a plausible explanation.

HOWEVER. If there's a way of configuring the shop software to automatically apply the £10 rule, then I'll find it. If not I guess I'll have a bit more work to do to enforce it.
I could always disable the pay by check option leaving just Paypal and Nochex online payment options. These can be used even if you dont have an account set up with them, all you need is a debit or credit card. This course of action would also save me running to the bank when people finally post thier checks.

· Registered
9,844 Posts
I also agree about not naming and shaming - not very professional to become vindictive, and their MAY be a reasonable explanation!

Might I suggest though, adding a notification somewhere that says, all charges caused by failed cheques are to be charged to the person who caused the charges to be incurred? In addition to the £10 rule that is...

Its easy to over-spend sometimes without realising, when all the bills come out on the same day and tip the balance of your account just before you get paid etc... it may just be enough to make people 'check' before writing their 'cheques'?

· brake. Brake. BRAKE. F****** BRAKE!!!!
2,704 Posts
Agree with Rob.

Out of interest what type of account do you have Jerry?

I've got a business account with Lloyds TSB and, whilst I get charged for everything I do (ie. x amount for every cheque I pay in plus a % of the total amount), I don't get charged anything if someone gives me a rubber one. Had this numerous times including one for £200 - that one hurt!!! :sad:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think we all agree - it happnes. Especially when young and innocent!

Name and shaming is very unprofessional.

Yes, we get charged for the privilege! £2 each!

Solution: Don't know really, even a £10 rule won't stop it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's the policy I've always had for trackdays and anything else that requires payment. Cheque cashed firts and then the goods or service is obtained!

· Which one shall I drive today?
6,505 Posts
As mentioned to Jerry earlier, what Debbie proposes has always been the case for larger amounts, but running to the bank to pay in a £2 check (yes I've had them) isn't always practicle, so unfortunately I have sat on them until I have enough to justify the trip. I believe the cheque in question this time was around £4.

I currently have an £11 cheque to pay in which is a bit more worthwhile and will be going to the bank with that one tommorrow. The order will be posted out hopefully next week.

Paypal is a painless way for the customer to pay using a credit/debit card, you don't even need a paypal account. OK there are fee's involved, but they come out of the shop's takings and as prices allready include an allowance for them it's not a problem.

We've had Paypal's UK based competitior NoChex available as an option for quite a while now and no one has used it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.