MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
The Green Machine
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cycle was stolen at Center Parcs, Sherwood Forest. It had been locked up with a motorbike chain and some theiving scumbags just cut right through it. Took my mates aswell and they were worth about £1000 in total.
I know its a long shot but if anyone comes across a GT Avalanche or Giant Terrago with MG stickers on it, let me know!
Hopefully I can claim on the house insurance as Center Parcs wont help. All they offered was £10 off next years holiday.......
Its the last place I expected it to get stolen aswell. Apparently they cut through an 8ft high fence and took the bikes within 5 minutes.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Sorry to read this, thought it was your motor bike when I first read it.

No CCTV at Center Parcs?? Dont seem very friendly or helpfull. Hope your house insurance pays up.

Dont know if the small claims court could help, Center Parcs not protecting your property, or something.

Have you got the police report number to claim off the insurance??

:wave:

·
The Green Machine
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They have 1 CCTV camera per bike park, but because it was in a corner all they can see is two shadows.
They were most unhelpful and hadn't even checked the CCTV until we went down the next day.
We phoned the police to get a crime number (great help) and were basically told, 'we wont see them again'.
I love this country sometimes. People steal your hard earned possesions for drugs and then the police, which take 75% of my council tax, dont want to know when you do report it.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
gutted mate, i think when i buy a new bike im going to get it insured for such reasons, shocking centre parks couldnt do more to help you was that the only place you could keep your bike>? id definatly be phoning up head office about it

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
My cycle was stolen at Center Parcs, Sherwood Forest. It had been locked up with a motorbike chain and some theiving scumbags just cut right through it. Took my mates aswell and they were worth about £1000 in total.
I know its a long shot but if anyone comes across a GT Avalanche or Giant Terrago with MG stickers on it, let me know!
If they have distinguishing marks or are quite rare you could set up a Saved Search on ebay that will find then if they come up for auction or sale . . the benefit of a saved search is that you get an email when your search criteria is met so you don't have to keep remembering to look.

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
Sorry to hear this. Not worth having anything nice these days. Gits!:irked:

·
Registered
795 Posts
They have 1 CCTV camera per bike park, but because it was in a corner all they can see is two shadows.
They were most unhelpful and hadn't even checked the CCTV until we went down the next day.
We phoned the police to get a crime number (great help) and were basically told, 'we wont see them again'.
I love this country sometimes. People steal your hard earned possesions for drugs and then the police, which take 75% of my council tax, dont want to know when you do report it.
With all due respect, what exactly do you expect the police to do? The CCTV shows 2 shadows, I assume there are no witnesses and no forensic opportunities. Without any of those things to go on how do you expect the police to catch anyone? If anyone can think of a way to catch offenders without any evidence then they will be able to make a lot of money!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
With all due respect, what exactly do you expect the police to do? The CCTV shows 2 shadows, I assume there are no witnesses and no forensic opportunities. Without any of those things to go on how do you expect the police to catch anyone? If anyone can think of a way to catch offenders without any evidence then they will be able to make a lot of money!
when you catch a thief, kill him, sorted. re-offending rates will go through the floor.

when my bike was stolen the bib told me to check out the free ad's etc and see if I could find it, what I was supposed to do if I did was anyones guess.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I feel your pain dude... had my 05 big hit nicked just after getting it how I wanted what was worring was It was locked to the bike rack on my car and my missis was asleep in the car and they just cut it off... most expensive pee ever! Police just gave me a crime number and said there was nothing they could do.. and In all fairness I believe them. The insurance company on the other hand where crap. Will keep an eye out on flea bay and pink bike for them.

·
Registered
795 Posts
when you catch a thief, kill him, sorted. re-offending rates will go through the floor.

when my bike was stolen the bib told me to check out the free ad's etc and see if I could find it, what I was supposed to do if I did was anyones guess.
Call the police and tell them you have found it and how you can prove it is yours. I have dealt with exactly that kind of job in the past with a sit on lawn mower.

·
The Green Machine
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Call the police and tell them you have found it and how you can prove it is yours. I have dealt with exactly that kind of job in the past with a sit on lawn mower.
My brother did that when his golf clubs were stolen. The police in Sheffield said if he went to the house he could be in trouble himself.

TBH, if id of caught them cutting through the lock I could well be in jail myself for cutting there f**king fingers off.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Police did hold a postcode stamping weekend down here, for bikes, which I thought was a good idea.

Dosnt help much, but I went to an auction in Salisbury, there were loads of bikes and I asked one of the porters what they went for. About £60/£80 he said, which I thought was quite good.

Then he said for the 10, apparantly the police sold off all the unclaimed bikes. Some were big chunky off road types with proper suspension.

He just bundled them up, to get them out of the way!!!

Think its worth calling all the police stations to see if they recover the bikes at any time, dont expect they will contact you, but who knows.

Hope they turn up.

·
Registered
795 Posts
What should happen is that the details of the bike are recorded on a database and when one is found the database is searched to see if it has been reported stolen. If it has it will match up and can be returned to the owner. As far as I know this system differs from force to force so if you bike turns up in a different force they wont know where it came from or that it waa stolen.

·
The Green Machine
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bit of good news. Phoned the house insurance today and its covered!
The cover I have is a bit weird though. If it was stolen from home, it wouldnt of been covered, yet because it was stolen on holiday, it comes under 'personal possesions'!
For once I like insurance!

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Result, still think Center Parcs could have done more, £10 voucher was an insult.

Should have had warnings that the bike parks wernt covered by cctv in all areas.

·
The Green Machine
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The letter is mainly from a mate of mine who also had an £800 bike stolen and hasn't got insurance.
Also to highlight how poor security is for a place that prides itslef on being safe, secure and bike friendly.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
The letter is mainly from a mate of mine who also had an £800 bike stolen and hasn't got insurance.
Also to highlight how poor security is for a place that prides itslef on being safe, secure and bike friendly.
If they say that, I'd have a look at the small claims court, if I was your mate and no insurance.

You might find even the threat of going that route may get them to cough up.

I think if you go to your local court, someone will be able to advise you on the proceedure and if you can claim. Think its all on line now as well.

Sure they wouldnt like the publicity, and it may cost you as well, if you have a claim on your insurance. Higher rates next year!! Think I might have gone Small Claims route as well.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts